What is wow'ing you? - Page 39

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#381: Post by Balthazar_B »

LukeFlynn wrote:Black Balsam by Mountain Air Roasting

Dose: 18 grams in | 32 grams out | 30-45 second pull.
If you like Black Balsam, you might like The Sermon from Verve Coffee Roasters. A little more expensive, but with the right pull, one of the more delicious macchiatos you're ever likely to enjoy. Definitely worth a try.
- John

LMWDP # 577

LukeFlynn

#382: Post by LukeFlynn replying to Balthazar_B »

I've heard great things about Verve, I'll give them a try! A local cafe serves street level every now and then.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#383: Post by EspressoForge »

Bodka's Misty Valley is hitting the spot for me every morning for the last few days. Bought green and roasted very light. Pulled with a long 1 bar preinfusion, is giving me a nice caramel blackberry thing going on. Sweet and balanced nicely.

I remember getting blueberry when roasting a bit darker some years ago, anxious to see if that's still the case!

Bodka Coffee

#384: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Try roasting a bit darker and eating a bean. Very blueberry.

Col_Potter

#385: Post by Col_Potter »

Got the sampler last week from Venia Coffee Roasters, and the Kenya Peaberry was quite remarkable. Very hard beans and rather loud in the grinder. Brewed in a Chemex, very-very complex super fruity. The aftertaste lasts for quite some time. In a good way. It has been a few months since I bought a Kenyan so this was a very nice surprise. Highly recommend if you like big Kenyans.

The Java Sunda that in the sampler was very good too. Completely different of coarse. Not a huge Indonesian coffee fan, but this wasn't mossy or musty at all. Crisp and clean, cinnamon and something else I can't put my finger on, would be my description.

I can never figure out the links on this forum, but see if this works https://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/coffee ... -pack.html
The Colonel

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#386: Post by EspressoForge »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Try roasting a bit darker and eating a bean. Very blueberry.
Darker after a few days I'm getting cocoa powder and dried fruit of some kind! No blueberry yet, but it may pop in a few more days, or maybe need a different roast profile.

I tried out Bodka's Panama Elida DP, equally or maybe even more amazing. So far only as a light roast, but I have less to experiment with on this one, so may just keep it light. Very fruit and thick body, great if you like Ethiopians IMO.

writer__

#387: Post by writer__ »

Balthazar_B wrote:Try some Sulawesi, which some roast to make nice SO espresso. It's fun comparing it to Sumatra and Java varietals in the cup.
Well, being that I was in Oakland yesterday, I swung by Blue Bottle to grab their Java Mandalawangi Garut, which is done through a washed method. I took it as an opportunity to compare processing methods, and I'm finding that the washed Java has some more complexity and sweetness, tastes like candied apples and sugary molasses.

Col_Potter

#388: Post by Col_Potter »

Any thoughts about breaking this thread off into a "What is Wow'ing you 2015...2016...etc"? Seems like it is getting too big for its own good. :?:
The Colonel

brianl

#389: Post by brianl »

Ecuador Las Cinco from Compass coffee roasters is absolutely stellar for both the clever and espresso. It's suuuppper sweet (in the good way) :D .

caldwa

#390: Post by caldwa »

This week I've been drinking HoneyCo Classic Espresso - and it's one of the best espresso blends I've had in a long time. I've found that large doses (21-23g) and high brew ratios (1:2) pulled a pretty high flow rate (24-27s) produces a cup that is dense and creamy, with a rich dark chocolate start, and a sweet, candied raspberry finish (so basically spot on tasting notes).Balanced acidity and sweetness. I'm really excited to see the awesome coffees coming from this new roaster.