What is wow'ing you? - Page 28

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Boldjava

#271: Post by Boldjava »

Christo wrote:... Brazil Fazenda Rainha. ...Very, very nice!
Had that farm's coffee 3 years ago. It was the most buttery Brazil I have ever had.
-----
LMWDP #339

danetrainer

#272: Post by danetrainer »

Christo wrote:First time to use Paradise Roasters S.O. Espresso Brazil Fazenda Rainha. Using a Rancilio Rocky and Cremina. Wow. Great taste and the best crema I've ever achieved. Very, very nice!
I'm a sucker for a great Mogiana, plus their 3x12 is a better deal, thanks for posting!

Mach

#273: Post by Mach »

Liking the Birch espresso okay, but I've had some bags of Oslo that were head and shoulders above the Birch I'm drinking now, at least with milk (I'll try a straight shot tomorrow). That said, there have been some less great bags from Oslo, so I won't give up on the Birch. Might also be a day or two away from its prime, in which case I'll have to revise my opinion.

Chert

#274: Post by Chert »

This week, I have been quite happy to taste shots of kuma coffee Finca Retana Guatemala with prominent spiced baked apple flavors. A nicely balanced and sweet shot. I would say the roaster nailed that one.
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#275: Post by Marcelnl »

i just made my first few espressos with a sun dried and ultra washed (no idea yet how that translates into flavours on my tastebuds but what I read made this a buying incentive) Dividasero, from Apaneca, El Salvador which was promised to be chocolaty and cherry flavoured and boy is that true...

Probably not any good to most of you here, as ' the koffielab' in the Netherlands roasted it two days ago, and it did wow me.

As a newbie I am still not really sure what I'm doing yet it seems some things are going right :-)
The first dose was ground too course and hence a too bit acidic for my taste, the second was too fine (almost choked the Faemina) and quite dense but tasting quite good but the third one seems close to the money.
LMWDP #483

Travisimo

#276: Post by Travisimo »

Sipacapa from Counter Culture Coffee is a delightful departure on the unique notes of:

Dark chocolate, raspberry and lavender!

I was surprised yet with a latte with a little sugar this is fantastic. I welcome departure from the plain chocolate taste profiles and not overly sour either, kinda need a break from the 3rd wave light roasts!

My wife was the one that was wondering what was making the lavender note in the kitchen... :shock: when I said oh some espresso from CCCoffee she was surprised! I am still the coffee lover in the household...so more for me!

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#277: Post by njtnjt »

New Harvest Roasters Doña Amalia
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

VeniaCoffee

#278: Post by VeniaCoffee »

Travisimo wrote:
We cupped an Indonesian lot a year or so ago that was one of the most unique coffees I have tasted. It was so floral, with lavender, rose, coffee bloom, and amazingly sweet. It was almost like walking past a perfume counter at the mall. The first few spoons were a wholly unique, a mountaintop coffee tasting experience, then total palate/sensory overload and what was beautiful turned ugly. We didn't pursue purchasing that coffee, but it was certainly one that can't be forgotten.

There are so many great flavors and aromas in coffee, and thankfully as specialty coffee grows, small lots that were once just thrown together for the commodity buyers are now being cupped, evaluated and sold as small lots. Much has changed for the better these past 10-15 years and I would say expect to continue to see more and more unique coffees in the coming years.

grog

#279: Post by grog »

I've been trying Supersonic's Chelelectu in a variety of brew methods this week, and it's a truly exceptional coffee. This morning in the Chemex (40g/600g/202 degrees) it was stunning - one of the sweetest coffees I've ever had. It's such a clean, vivid cup - I'm not great at picking out specific fruits in tasting notes, but this is one of those Ethiopians that is packed with sweet berry fruit. It has been at its best this weekend, about 5-6 days post roast.
LMWDP #514

UFGators

#280: Post by UFGators »

Travisimo wrote:Sipacapa from Counter Culture Coffee is a delightful departure on the unique notes of:

I was surprised yet with a latte with a little sugar this is fantastic. I welcome departure from the plain chocolate taste profiles and not overly sour either, kinda need a break from the 3rd wave light roasts!

My wife was the one that was wondering what was making the lavender note in the kitchen... :shock: when I said oh some espresso from CCCoffee she was surprised! I am still the coffee lover in the household...so more for me!

Thanks for the recommendation.. I opened a bag today, 4 days off roast. I pulled 20 grams for 30 grams out in around 30 seconds. Wow! definitely delicious and very unique. I'm looking forward to trying more tomorrow morning.