What is wow'ing you? - Page 26

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
beer&mathematics

#251: Post by beer&mathematics »

cannonfodder wrote:Unicorn blood. Pretty darn good. The Dragon Eggs will be next.

<image>
Dang, not only do I like the name, I like their bags! I study black holes, if I opened a coffee shop it'd be the black hole :lol:

Edit: I placed an order...couldn't help myself with those beautiful bags (which I'll probably hand on my coffee wall). Ordered a tshit too 8)
LMWDP #431

swroasting

#252: Post by swroasting »

My favorite SO espresso so far is our Ethiopian natural Sidamo Wote Konga. After the first try I immediately had 6 doubles! :shock: But now I'm sad because I sold our last pound yesterday, which only leaves me with about 11 oz and the bean isn't available anymore :(

Advertisement
grog

#253: Post by grog »

+1 on the Kuma Aricha. Their current Kenyan offering, Kiangoi, is fantastic as well. Both have been delicious in the Clever as well as pulling shots on the Caravel.
LMWDP #514

Boldjava

#254: Post by Boldjava »

Las Nubes Tablon (The Cloud Level), 100% Old Growth heirloom Bourbon
Batlle Finca, 1500 meters
Buenos Aires, Santa Ana Departmento

Cupped this morning, 14 hours off roast, with fellow Gopher Cupper

Fragrance - sweet/savory
Aroma - tarragon, floral
Acidity - citric, medium
Flavor/nuances - black plum, toffee, sweet, slightest hint of cocoa, light floral
Body/mouthfeel - buttery
Finish/aftertaste - in line with cup/black plum sweetness lingers and lingers

Comments - just a classic, classic showcase El Salvadoran Bourbon. Probably one of the best El Salvadorans I have laid hands on. This is a demonstration of the care and TLC this family puts into their coffee.

Grade: 88.75

Post evaluation: half and half, creams well. Lactose sweetens the cup further and brings out more chocolates.

Guess who just reserved 450 lbs?

-----
LMWDP #339

genecounts

#255: Post by genecounts »

I moved Boldjava's comment over here from the Roasting thread. He had asked me how I liked the Gesha(using my new roasting profile that he suggested):
PS. How about that Gesha?! Great cup and those beans fired like firecrackers during first roast. Enjoying it.

Guat Acatenango Gesha.

Very big Gesha.

Fragrance - florals upon florals
Aroma - buttered movie popcorn
Flavor/nuances - very heavy florals, roasted sweet oats, orange rinds. Flavors were more blended in this Gesha where typically they seem stratified to me. I will give it a couple of days. Big Valencia orange with a "hook" and a touch of chocolate. (I think Schooley is calling the orange "jasmine)."
Body/mouthfeel - tons and tons of oils in there, all delicious. Med-heavy, heaviest Gesha I have had.
Finish/aftertaste - Oils spill onto the upper roof of the palate, big orange finish. After 20 seconds, chocolate appears.

I am in awe of the Guat Gesha. The only coffee I don't dare put in the LaSpaz. I'm afraid, in a moment of weakness, I may let some milk touch it!
Have been strictly following Brandon Weaver's winning formula since he won the first ever Northwest Regional Aeropress Championship with it.
The Gesha really sparkles in the cup. You are hit with incredible sweetness first, followed by waves of fruitiness and chocolate. Love the heavy body. And the Able disk lets the oils through that really linger. Wow!
Thanks Dave.

Boldjava

#256: Post by Boldjava »

Gene, glad the suggested profile seems to work and that you are enjoying the Gesha. I served it to a paneling sales rep (coffee hound) who was visiting and he was floored with it. Great cup.
-----
LMWDP #339

jbviau
Supporter ★

#257: Post by jbviau »

You guys are making me want to get into roasting...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
genecounts

#258: Post by genecounts »

ha ha
That reminds me.

I'm not saying a word at first to my son arrives from Texas late this month. Have sent lots of roasts to Afghanistan past two years and Iraq before that.
He liked it all since they confiscated a cheap espresso machine that some departing unit had left.

He is your typical GI and preferred black in the long run. My good luck with him and his troops lasted until I sent some Indian Monsooned Malabar and Robusta Sethurama Estate.
Now they have pallets and pallets of Starbucks at Balad Airbase for distribution. That is when he told me his troops preferred the "Charbucks". ha

I'll surprise him and serve him four day old Guat Gesha....and act surprised myself if his face lights up.

Its all fun!

Boldjava

#259: Post by Boldjava »

genecounts wrote:ha ha
That reminds me.

I'm not saying a word at first to my son arrives from Texas late this month. Have sent lots of roasts to Afghanistan past two years ...
Thank him for his service from a GI from the Vietnam era.

Thanks, son!
-----
LMWDP #339

beer&mathematics

#260: Post by beer&mathematics replying to Boldjava »

+1 yes, thank you to your son and "genecounts" family :)
LMWDP #431