What do you do with your left-over roasted beans?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nixda

#1: Post by nixda »

I occasionally find myself with two different beans (roasted) in quantities too small to make a batch of coffee from either one. So I just mix them together, without any regards to ratio or other thoughts. The results so far have been quite decent. None of these 'accidental' blends was horrid, and occasionally, I liked the blend better than either coffee alone. For example, I just mixed together some Hologram from Counter Culture Coffee with some home-roasted Ethiopia Jimma from the Cocola Cooperative. Quite enjoyable. Makes me want to explore blending.

What do you do with your left-overs?

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

I've done this before.. I had some Hologram that was a month old.. for some reason I decided to mix it with some fresh CC Baroida... it was pretty good!

SpromoSapiens

#3: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Generally my leftovers are of substantially different ages/stalenesses, as I go through one coffee at a time. So, some odd beans out might be just approaching decline while last week's lefties are well into the stale zone. Be that as it may, I will sometimes combine and brew willy nilly, just so it doesn't go to waste. In the summer I save these for aeropress ice coffee treats, which involves a strong aeropress straight into a pint glass full of ice, which somehow always melts into the perfect water/coffee/ice ratio and then I add a tiny dash of Kahlua. It really doesn't matter what coffee I use for this, or how fresh. But sometimes the coffee sits around for so long that I end up composting it just to free up the container its in.

tburres

#4: Post by tburres »

I brew and make ice cubes that my daughters use along with any leftover forthed milk to make frappuccinos - no wasting coffee in my house!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

I roast several batches at a time, when just a bit is left of each, I also blend them together and see what I get. It's usually enough for a shot or 2. Often times its good, then again each as a SO are good, so I figure the blend is bound to be good. Way more challenging would be blending subpar or bad coffees to make a decent espresso :)

I also blend small amounts of left over green until I get enough for a super blend roast. Usually this turns out well even if a bit unpredictable while roasting.

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

I stick it all in a jar and call it the house blend when there's enough to make a whole cup ;)
Chris

javabass

#7: Post by javabass »

Cover in chocolate and eat them!
-Scott