What coffee does Napoli Blend use?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
OctagonCoffee

#1: Post by OctagonCoffee »

Hello. I have a question about coffee beans. So when I started buying beans for making espresso, the owner of the local coffee shop near my house suggested me to buy their original blend called "Napoli Blend". I really liked the blend and I wanted to get more of it. However, because I moved to different place, I could not get the blend any more. I searched online and I found other blend called "Espresso Napolitano" from KIMBO. I felt like it tasted similar to the Napoli Blend I used to drink. Although I didn't try, I also found blend called "Torrefazione Napoli Blend" So I was curious what kind of beans they use to make this Napoli Blend thing. Does it depend on the company that make it? or All the Napoli blend uses the same combination of beans? Thank you!

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

"Napoli Blend" is a registered trademark of Torrefazione in Seattle, which is now a Starbucks company. You can buy more of it here: http://store.starbucks.com/torrefazione ... lt,pd.html.

Don't expect anyone at Starbucks to tell you what is in it. Blends are usually proprietary there and, in any event, constantly change as the crops and green coffee prices change. I am sure, though, that they move heaven and earth to keep the flavor as consistent as possible.
Marshall
Los Angeles

OctagonCoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Do you know what beans do southern Italians typically use for their coffee? I think "Espresso Napolitano", which I like, is meant to be like the coffee in southern Italy.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

Historically, southern Italians, being poorer than their northern brethren, used cheaper coffees and roasted them more darkly. Beans like robustas and low-altitude Brazils. But these beans were much lower grade than anything Starbucks would buy, no matter how much people like to hate the company.

You are asking people to speculate, and I am not sure what you would do with the information, if you actually got it. Coffees vary by country, region, farm and lot. Then they are modified by the style and skill of the roaster. One roaster's Brazils will be different from another's.

If you like this blend, and you obviously do, consider yourself lucky that it is easily available and mail order more from Starbucks.
Marshall
Los Angeles

#5: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Thank you for your information. Obviously, I don't know anything about coffee beans (like how are beans roasted or where they grew, and how those tastes different from each other). I have to say that I was really obsessed with the coffee blend called "Napoli Blend" which is not from Starbucks, but from the local coffee store that I used to go. (That was their original blend. It was not from Starbucks, or Torrefazione). Today, I use coffee blend from KIMBO called "Espresso Napolitano" which really tastes and smell like the original blend (which they called Napoli Blend) of the local store. *Sorry for my confusing English. I am not Native speaker...

The reason why I wanted to ask about which beans and roast they use in italy was because I wanted to try single origin coffee. But when I looked up, there were so many of them that I could decide what I wanted. So I though it would be nice if I can get beans that taste close to what I drinking now.

Is there good websites or books that tell you about coffee beans, like where they are produced, how they are roasted, what process they used, and what the characteristic of each other?

bean2friends

#6: Post by bean2friends »

OctagonCoffee wrote:Is there good websites or books that tell you about coffee beans, like where they are produced, how they are roasted, what process they used, and what the characteristic of each other?
Well, as a matter of fact, you are on such a site. You just have to do some more reading and researching. You'll find all you're looking for here or on other sites that are referred to here. Pay special attention to the forums on coffees, roasting and cafes. Also, you might want to check out the Coffeegeek web site, Sweet Marias has lots of information on various coffees, and many of the roasted coffee supporters found in the marketplace threads. See what the purveyors of roasted coffees have to say about what they are selling. I'm thinking of such roasters as Klatch, Paradise, Counter Culture, Bodka, Compass and many more. Also, you might check out Coffeereview.com.

That's enough to get you started. Have fun learning.

DickC

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

One of Napoli's most well-known roasters, and worth a look - they tell you what's in there!

http://www.passalacqua.com/

I order one of their blends now and then, and I relish the flavor -I have one of their 100% Arabica blends on the way. Neapolitan coffee is a complex phenomenon of which I personally know very little. But no surprise, considering for how long so many of them have been roasting and drinking espresso. I visited this city of a million people at the foot of Vesuvio last year, and it left a lasting impression. North Americans tend to sell Italian espresso a little short in my opinion, and it's worth seeking out and trying some.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#8: Post by OctagonCoffee (original poster) »

Thank you for the great informations! I never thought of exploring roasters and cafes. Also I will check more threads on this site.

Also Thank you for the link to the roaster in Napoli. I am going to try one of them after I finish my beans that I have now, though 1kg is a bit too much :shock: My airtight container can hold only 500g of coffee beans and I don't want to leave the rest being exposed to the air.

peacecup

#9: Post by peacecup »

I keep 1 kg bags in the freezer, even before I open them. Then I fill a 250g container, and quickly reseal the bag and refreeze. I even keep the 250g container in the freezer, and single dose when I make a shot.

We had a couple of threads about Italian blends a while ago:

2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused!

Italian Espresso: Tasting and Comparing
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."