What are you drinking today?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Rulebreaker

#1: Post by Rulebreaker »

Good morning, not sure if there is a thread on this topic, maybe a sticky one? Anyway, I thought it would be a good way to share notes:

Brew method: Espresso
Coffee: Hairbender
Cup: cafe Americano, milk, sugar
Dose: 14 grams
Brew temp: 202 F
Tasting notes: dark cherry, dark chocolate, much improved with lowering dose, grinding finer and upping brew temp. Good start to the morning. Thanks for the reccomendations from the HB community.
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

Rulebreaker (original poster)

#2: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

This hasn't caught on, but I will try again:

Paradise Roasters Nuevo Espresso 7/10 roast date

18 grams whole bean
Grinder setting 10
Brew temp 202
Brew time 22 seconds
Yield: 1 oz
Tasting date 7/14

Tasting notes:
Fruit forward
Chocolatey
Ashy aftertaste
Good mouthfeel

Next tasting I will grind one step coarser

Advertisement
servo386

#3: Post by servo386 »

I'll give it a shot (no pun intended), but perhaps with not as much detail as you:

Panther Coffee - East Coast Espresso
local roaster from Miami, FL

Brew Method: Espresso
Dose: 20g
Cup: Straight
Yield: 2oz
Brew Temp: Whatever temperature a NS Oscar does right after being flushed

Taste Notes: A strong no-frills medium/medium dark espresso. Very very creamy and naturally sweet. Only a slight fruity hint at the end which leaves a delightful taste in your mouth.

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

I drink a lot of different coffees each month, but right now I am drinking:

Mountain Air Espresso Obelisk

Overall description: This coffee is from Brazil, one of my favorite coffee regions. This coffee has a flavor profile like that of most Brazils, Chocolate, caramel, nutty, etc. It really is just a sweet coffee.. I love it.

Parameters:

Dose: 18-20g
Yield: Pull until blond, resulting in 32-36 grams.
Brew Temp: 197
Tastes great as anything really. While I like Marshall's coffees, I would suggest the beginning home barista to look towards more comfort blends, a la Redbird, maybe his Black Mountain?

Also, after day 6 or so, try pulling the Nuevo closer to 2oz... works nice.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

Nossa Familia Full Cycle

20in/20-24 out. 25-31s with a 2-4 second pre-infusion at 1.5bars. 201F. Starting at day 3 it's been a very smooth blend with a little chocolate/touch of acidity. It's not the most exciting but I was starting to get annoyed with the fussy light roasts that can be wildly inconsistent. This is old reliable.

I'd rather just give a summary of a coffee instead of going day by day. unless you edit an old post for the same coffee.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

SM Colombia Monte Verde Wush Wush
post roast day 5
14 grams in 23 grams out
bright lemony but balanced with sweet caramel.

(I was a bit surprised I would like this one so well as espresso)
LMWDP #198

Rulebreaker (original poster)

#7: Post by Rulebreaker (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:I drink a lot of different coffees each month, but right now I am drinking:

Overall description: This coffee is from Brazil, one of my favorite coffee regions. This coffee has a flavor profile like that of most Brazils, Chocolate, caramel, nutty, etc. It really is just a sweet coffee.. I love it.

Parameters:

Tastes great as anything really. While I like Marshall's coffees, I would suggest the beginning home barista to look towards more comfort blends, a la Redbird, maybe his Black Mountain?

Also, after day 6 or so, try pulling the Nuevo closer to 2oz... works nice.
Thanks for the insight I will give it a try. Your current coffee sounds interesting. Very much in line with my preferences I believe.
brianl wrote:Nossa Familia Full Cycle

20in/20-24 out. 25-31s with a 2-4 second pre-infusion at 1.5bars. 201F. Starting at day 3 it's been a very smooth blend with a little chocolate/touch of acidity. It's not the most exciting but I was starting to get annoyed with the fussy light roasts that can be wildly inconsistent. This is old reliable.

I'd rather just give a summary of a coffee instead of going day by day. unless you edit an old post for the same coffee.
Makes sense to me as it could get repetitive, maybe the title should be what are you drinking, no pressure to update daily!

Advertisement
Andy

#8: Post by Andy »

Flores Komodo from Bodhi Leaf
Home-roasted 7/11 to about City+, but a breaker tripped mid-roast and it tasted a bit baked.
Chemex, about 15:1, but I was away from home and did not have a scale.
Lovely, light, tea-like coffee. I enjoyed, considering I botched the roast.

new2espresso

#9: Post by new2espresso »

19g doubles of this delicious coffee @197f in 26sec on my bdb
Kind regards,
Karan

DrugOfChoice

#10: Post by DrugOfChoice »

LukeFlynn wrote:I drink a lot of different coffees each month, but right now I am drinking:

Parameters:

I've been drinking a lot of Obelisk lately as brewed coffee, and concur that it has a really nice, typically Brazilian flavor profile. To me, it's definitely in the comfort food quadrant. I've gotten my best results at 205 F in the Brazen Plus, and ground a little finer than my standard drip grind.