Volunteers for "Your Favorite Espresso Blend 2013" review

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

For the last three years, we've reviewed favorites nominated by the membership:
We'd like to try something different this year: Instead of Team HB reviewing member-nominated coffees, members can nominate their personal favorite and invite two other HB members to join them in a review. To provide continuity, one Team HB member will participate in the review.

So, if you want to review your favorite espresso blend, propose it in this thread along with a link to where it's sold. Include why you like it and how you normally prepare it. If you want to review an espresso blend proposed by another member, simply quote their post and express your interest. Once we have 3 or more volunteers, I'll update this post with the blend/volunteers and contact them offline to coordinate the purchase/review process.

I look forward to hearing about your favorites!
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

And in case the format strikes you as familiar, we stole it from Check Please!.

If you watch some of the videos, you'll see the strength of the format. The person who nominated the blend can say why they like the blend; while the two others, who may have different tastes, can say what they liked and disliked about it. This three way discussion will be the format for all the three coffees nominated by the three people (i.e. one each). So we hope this might lead to a more spirited discussion of all the coffees we order.

BTW, don't be concerned about nominating something we've reviewed before or even an old standby - having a discussion about these is good too.

Also, we are very cheap .. so if you take part, you will have to pay for the three nominated coffees.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Although I don't see why I would need to pay and ship the coffee I suggest to the other HBer's and/or moderator, I'll go ahead and suggest one I would be willing to try and do my best to review.
It's from Venia
Our signature espresso blend. As coffee is an agricultural crop, the coffees that go into Square Peg change throughout the year, but our goal is always the same: to bring you a beautifully sweet and balanced espresso that not only blends well with milk, but is also outstanding as a straight espresso shot.
I suggest it because it is from a sponsoring roaster, whose coffee I have never tried. I am intrigued that the bean is from Uganda, also an origin I can't remember having tried.

Moderators, if I'm not working the format correctly, or if I would be obliged to cover cost and shipping for the other reviewers, feel free to erase this entry and I may try again later.

EDIT: This recommendation is retracted; see clarifications below.
LMWDP #198

HB (original poster)
Admin

#4: Post by HB (original poster) »

To clarify, each of the three reviewers proposes their own favorite coffee. So you're reviewing three coffees where one is your favorite and two are the other reviewers' favorites.
another_jim wrote:Also, we are very cheap .. so if you take part, you will have to pay for the three nominated coffees.
In other words, each reviewer pays for their own coffee.
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Chert wrote:I suggest it because it is from a sponsoring roaster, whose coffee I have never tried. I am intrigued that the bean is from Uganda, also an origin I can't remember having tried.
The idea is to nominate a coffee you love, normally order, and want to share with others.
Jim Schulman

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Thanks for the clarification on what is being proposed and how it would work.
LMWDP #198

Dodger1

#7: Post by Dodger1 »

I've got 5 beans on my all-time favorite list but they've all been reviewed in previous "Favorite Espresso Blends"; so I'm assuming they shouldn't be used in the new format?

The only beans that I really fell heads over heels about, and weren't previously reviewed, were the Out of Africa Espresso that Klatch had a while back but those beans have been "currently unavailable" for at least a year. Their description was, which I always wonder if it's a load of propaganda, was:

"Out of Africa is certainly a complex single origin espresso blend created by barista champion Heather Perry with three distinctive natural process beans from Ethiopia. Heather describes this espresso blend as "pure awesomeness." This espresso delivers astounding undertones of chocolate and tobacco, heighten by brighter notes of slight lemon citrus and berry fruit. Holding greats amounts of crema. At the bottom of the shot the berry attributes pursue with added flavors of cherry and peach."

All of which I remarkably found to be spot on and the price was extremely reasonable. So I've got it bookmarked and every time I order any beans, I always check to see if they now have it in stock but alas to no avail. :evil:

Keith

Advertisement
HB (original poster)
Admin

#8: Post by HB (original poster) »

Dodger1 wrote:I've got 5 beans on my all-time favorite list but they've all been reviewed in previous "Favorite Espresso Blends"; so I'm assuming they shouldn't be used in the new format?
Your favorite is your favorite. If you propose a coffee and two others sign up as co-reviewers, you're on.
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

It would actually be more interesting to see how this format works with coffees that have been reviewed before. Our old reviews are done blind, or with as few preconceptions as possible; this format is more like one person sharing with others. The other two reviewers would know what the nominating reviewer likes about the blend; and they can agree, disagree, or head off in their own direction. That might generate insights we don;t normally see.

One thing you don't see a lot on Check, Please! is one-upmanship; no "You call that a deli? Let me show you a real deli." So maybe we can avoid that here.
Jim Schulman

Dodger1

#10: Post by Dodger1 »

I'd like to propose reviewing Espresso Dolce. http://www.espressovivace.com/blends.html

Call it sacrilege but I actually like some milk based drinks; especially when their made with Dolce. The only drawback to this bean is that it's kind of finicky to work with and you need to be able to control the temperatures pretty closely. Since my machine does a good job in that regard I've been able to pull shots, at various temps and other parameters, that most of our friends really like.

Normally I use: 18.5 grams, @ 199f, ground for a shot time of 26 seconds, an extraction weight of 1.5 ounces, for a Macchiato.