Verve's Panama Elida Estate Natural

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SimonPatrice

#1: Post by SimonPatrice »

I just got a bag of Panama Elida Estate (natural process) roasted by Verve. I normally drink it as brewed coffee but was wondering if anyone has tried to pull shots with it. They used to roast some with espresso in mind but I haven't seen it this year. Do you think it would be possible to get a good shot from this "filter roast"? If so, what would your recommendations be for the ratio, temp and grind?

Thanks!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

SimonPatrice (original poster)

#2: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) replying to SimonPatrice »

So, to answer my own question, it seems to be doable. With a finer grind than I usually use on the Caravel and hotter water, I got a promising shot tonight. Not perfect but still very sweet and not overly bright. I'll try to fine tune it but I think it will make very good coffee both with the Walküre and the Caravel.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Bear007

#3: Post by Bear007 »

I've tried Panama Elida Estate Natural from Dragonfly, Klatch and Birdrock but not Verve, I do like the naturals and this is one of my favorites. My usual routine is 16g. in and 26 out with a temp of 198 and a dab (just a dab) of milk.

#4: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) replying to Bear007 »

Thanks! I tried to make a couple of shots with it but I prefer this roast as filter coffee so I think I'll stick to that.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

marlodmb

#5: Post by marlodmb »

Just bought a bag for milk based espresso. How do you get "filter roast"? Curious and got me 2nd guessing my choice of purchase

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

This coffee in most roast levels has beautiful strawberry notes. It plays well with milk and is one of the more versatile coffees.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#7: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) »

marlodmb wrote:Just bought a bag for milk based espresso. How do you get "filter roast"? Curious and got me 2nd guessing my choice of purchase
Did you buy the one from Verve? If so, when I say "filter roast" all I mean is that it is not roasted with espresso specifically in mind. Verve have a couple of espresso blends and usually sell a least one single origin espresso that's labeled as such. They once sold the Elida Estate Natural as a SOE so I'm assuming the roast I have is different.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

#8: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) »

TomC wrote:This coffee in most roast levels has beautiful strawberry notes. It plays well with milk and is one of the more versatile coffees.
I've been able to get some strawberry notes with the Walküre but find it hard to brew as espresso. For a roast that's quite light, would there be anything else to try than grinder finer than usual and brewing hotter? I'm guessing a longer shot would help but that's not going to happen on the Caravel.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

marlodmb

#9: Post by marlodmb »

SimonPatrice wrote:Did you buy the one from Verve? If so, when I say "filter roast" all I mean is that it is not roasted with espresso specifically in mind. Verve have a couple of espresso blends and usually sell a least one single origin espresso that's labeled as such. They once sold the Elida Estate Natural as a SOE so I'm assuming the roast I have is different.
Yes this will be my 3rd type of beans I bought from them. Didn't know about SOE... had sermon, using street level right now and then Elida Estate Natural.

#10: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) replying to marlodmb »

Let me know how it turns out with your setup!

Edited to add: I just got two great shots from it tonight. :D
Patrice
LMWDP #428