Varietal character in flat whites

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Pietemans

#1: Post by Pietemans »

Greetings.

After a few months of 'active lurking' I have decided to join the fray!

I particularly enjoy SO singles/doubles, such as Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, because of their characteristic flavors, or should I say varietal character. :wink:

I'd like to have some control over those coffee flavors in my milk-enhanced drinks as well. I make flat whites, as lattes mask the coffee too much in my experience.

Is there any way we can allow the varietal character to shine through in such drinks? Any particular kinds of coffee that work well? Any particular methods?

Answers in all sorts of directions are welcome.

dogjamboree

#2: Post by dogjamboree »

Get a triple basket if you don't have one already and updose. Triple ristretto with 21-23g of coffee used to be the norm for milk drinks in my neck of the woods.

Advertisement
cimarronEric
Sponsor

#3: Post by cimarronEric »

Cortado is the breakfast of champions as far as I'm concerned. Taste the flavor but get your protein and fat too (breve).
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

Pietemans (original poster)

#4: Post by Pietemans (original poster) »

Thanks guys. Now I'm getting there.

I was always doing 7g (single) or 14g (double) on my Hario Slim. Now that I'm playing with the Vario, I'm finding that I can dose much higher if I want to. Also, it turns out that my stock double basket can hold up to 20g if you dose it to the brim (and that is without extra settling taps).

Last 17g-based flat white I've had to dial back my coffee dose to dim the coffee flavor. Problem solved. :)