Vacuum storage harmful? - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
aecletec

#51: Post by aecletec »

I haven't seen any in my area, online may be my best bet... Combining with inert gas might be pretty effective!
I found an estimated 4-6.4atm quoted in this paper but the source papers are lost in wherever the reference list is.
https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlui/bi ... sequence=2

While oversimplifying the issue, I'd imagine any increase in pressure would help but the actual effect...?

mixedup

#52: Post by mixedup »

Just wanted to chime in here....

I've been using the 'vacuum seal' method for a couple years now (FoodSaver). I try and buy beans as fresh as possible and seal/freeze immediately. After being stored (even for weeks), beans pulled from the freezer and put in a mason jar will continue to de-gas as if fresh. I have been very impressed with this method.

That being said, the only ill effect I've noticed (which I may/may not be imagining) is that previously frozen beans seem to deteriorate quicker (but not quickly enough that they aren't gone before becoming that stale!).

Advertisement
jesse (original poster)

#53: Post by jesse (original poster) »

I'm going to order a bottle of Bloxygen, which is apparently 100% argon, whereas the stuff marketed specifically for wine preservation all seems to be a mixture of various inert gases.

aecletec

#54: Post by aecletec »

I'm using winesaver because it's locally available, it's argon - so I lucked out.
I received my tennis ball savers today, looking forward to seeing if there's any noticeable effect.

aecletec

#55: Post by aecletec »

Problems I can foresee include damage to the container from degassing pressure build up or maybe absorption of plastic smell. Can use a snap lock bag for the smell, perhaps. Might be awkward with the inert gas, though.

Zendel

#56: Post by Zendel »

mixedup wrote:Just wanted to chime in here....

I've been using the 'vacuum seal' method for a couple years now (FoodSaver). I try and buy beans as fresh as possible and seal/freeze immediately. After being stored (even for weeks), beans pulled from the freezer and put in a mason jar will continue to de-gas as if fresh. I have been very impressed with this method.

That being said, the only ill effect I've noticed (which I may/may not be imagining) is that previously frozen beans seem to deteriorate quicker (but not quickly enough that they aren't gone before becoming that stale!).
Been doing the same thing, vacuum seal with a foodsaver and freeze, for years. I have not noticed the coffee deteriorating any faster. I note the days post roast on the bag and it acts like I would expect when I go to use it. When using part of a two pound bag fresh and part after freezing there isn't a discernable difference. I actually left (lost) a couple bags of coffee in the freezer for over a year and it was fine when I used it. Tasted great, normal crema production, and had normal aging/staling time in the hopper. Just a normal freezer on the lowest setting btw.

aecletec

#57: Post by aecletec »

When you're talk
Zendel wrote:Tasted great, normal crema production, and had normal aging/staling time in the hopper.
Thanks for your impressions. What kind of beans were you using? Any particular flavour profiles?

Advertisement
nickw

#58: Post by nickw »

I also freeze beans in small canning jars (enough for 5 coffees) so 1-3 days worth.

When I pull them from the freezer I let them defrost at room temperature. I like to wait 12hrs before opening, as to allow any moisture condensing inside the jar a chance to equalize with the beans before opening.

Zendel

#59: Post by Zendel »

It believe it was Belle Espresso from Klatch and Ambrosia from Caffe Fresco. Both are primarily in the sweet, chocolate, nut spectrum. I have frozen all types of coffee and haven't noticed a much of difference between them in this respect.

aecletec

#60: Post by aecletec replying to Zendel »

In what respect, sorry?