Vacuum storage harmful? - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
aecletec

#41: Post by aecletec »

Yes this is a bit of a problem and will have to take the recommendations of the manufacturers and add trial and error, I suppose.
With the pump system I just get rid of as much air as I can.
There may be lab equipment that can aid us but I don't know what help or expense that may be.

aecletec

#42: Post by aecletec »

Pretty impressed with the argon wine saver, haven't had to change grind settings in about a week.

jesse (original poster)

#43: Post by jesse (original poster) »

^^ That is encouraging news for a person who only uses around 30 grams of beans per day. I've been meaning to pick up a can and conduct some tests ever since I made that post.

aecletec

#44: Post by aecletec »

danaleighton wrote:I was curious how we can know know you've used sufficient gas to displace the oxygen? On the same account, you won't know if you're wasting it by using too much I guess...
What I've tried doing so far is spraying enough until I can't smell the coffee with my nose close to the jar. I guess plus or minus a second, variably. Less than written for wine. I am spooning out the beans to try and not tip the argon out as instructions note happening.

jesse (original poster)

#45: Post by jesse (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:I am spooning out the beans to try and not tip the argon out as instructions note happening.
What size are your containers? I have 4oz mason jars (which hold anywhere from 35 - 55 grams depending on the size and shape of the bean), so would just be splitting an entire bag down into them, flushing each, sealing, and opening a new jar every day.

aecletec

#46: Post by aecletec »

I really like your idea. I am using a jar that holds about 200g and I do have a couple that hold less but my usage might only be two shots in the morning... So I would need to regas anyway. I do have a set of containers that may work but are semi transparent clear containers and may not block sunlight as well.
I suppose they could be kept in a dark place.

sweaner

#47: Post by sweaner »

What do you all think about using a tennis ball pressurizer to store the coffee under pressure?

http://smile.amazon.com/Tennis-Ball-Sav ... ressurizer
Scott
LMWDP #248

aecletec

#48: Post by aecletec replying to sweaner »

Never heard of those!
The illy link lists pressurisation as more beneficial, but is two atmospheres enough?
Cheap enough to give a shot, though? How's it seem for hygiene?

sweaner

#49: Post by sweaner »

I think if it were new it should be OK, but I would probably put the beans in a paper bag, then into the tennis ball pressurizer. I may just have to pick one up and check it out.
Scott
LMWDP #248

aecletec

#50: Post by aecletec replying to sweaner »

I think you've raised a very interesting point and will look into it myself, thanks.