Vacuum storage harmful? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
OldNuc

#21: Post by OldNuc »

If the flavor hangs in there that works. I store coffee in 1lb/500gm containers in the freezer and move them to the fridge for consumption. Actually using the Coffeevac and I go through 45gm to 90gm/day so on the counter does not make it but back in the fridge does.

aecletec

#22: Post by aecletec »

I think you're on the money OldNuc... Most of the papers of interest to me are behind paywalls but a preview of Espresso Science by Illy listed in increasing protection: air, vacuum, inert gas, pressurised, previous method combined with active packaging.
Fridge or freezer in air hasn't been useful to me unfortunately.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by JohnB. »

I vac bag/freeze in 3-4 day quantities for espresso & single or 2 day use for brewing. I want it to age on the counter as I freeze it just as it is hitting prime & like to follow the changes. I seriously doubt that the fridge is cold enough to make much of a difference on the aging but whatever works for you.
LMWDP 267

OldNuc

#24: Post by OldNuc »

It does work and if it did not then I would try something else. I suspect like most things coffee what works has a great deal to do with individual taste and likes.

I know people who think Maxwell House made with city tap water in a 20 something cup West Bend glorified perk pot reminiscent of the one we used for shop coffee in the USN is absolutely great coffee. Serving them decent brew of any kind is a waste of effort.

sqroot3

#25: Post by sqroot3 »

for those of you using inert gases to flush your storage vessel, how are you setting up your inert gas? do you have a ready supply of nitrogen?

OldNuc

#26: Post by OldNuc »

The common use is to preserve wine. This is just 1 of many home user containers for that use. http://www.vintagecellars.com/productvi ... MgodYX0Ajg

jesse (original poster)

#27: Post by jesse (original poster) »

The wine preservers seem like they'd be kind of a pricey way to go, ultimately..

I know they use this stuff in welding.. Might be more cost effective to just purchase a 20 cubic foot cylinder?

OldNuc

#28: Post by OldNuc »

The cylinder is going to cost something like $60 or so for a new 22 cu ft cylinder and then the regulator and gas. Will be cheaper than the wine purge system though.

jesse (original poster)

#29: Post by jesse (original poster) »

If one cubic foot equals around 950 oz, and the $10 cans of wine preserver are .29 oz..

A lot cheaper.

CoffeeMac

#30: Post by CoffeeMac »

I've been vacuum-sealing and freezing roasted beans for a few years now, with no detectable deterioration in taste or other properties.

I usually order a 5-pound bag of Redbird, then divide into 0.5 pound bag, seal with an edge-type vacuum sealer, and place in freezer until use. When I start running low, I'll pull a bag out of the freezer the night before to let thaw for use in morning. I typically go through 0.5 pounds per week, and see no difference from the first never-frozen batch, to the last bag pulled from the freezer. I usually freeze 2-3 days post-roast, so the bags sometimes get a bit "puffy" as the beans outgas CO2, but again I haven't seen any impact on the beans. Beans frozen in vacuum sealed bags for 10 weeks taste and perform just like beans a few days post-roast.

My 2 cents...
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706