Vacuum sealers for coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bronsht

Postby bronsht » Feb 01, 2017, 6:56 pm

I have a FoodSaver vac and it works sometimes but not always and takes a long time. I'm tired of throwing money away but have heard good things about the VacMaster. So, is the PRO350 good enough to flirt with? I don't want a sous vide. I only vac coffee beans and sometimes cheese in those FoodSaver bags. Any thoughts?

authentic European coffee equipment since 1977
Sponsored by 1st-line equipment - authentic European coffee equipment since 1977
cafe102

Postby cafe102 » Feb 01, 2017, 7:19 pm

Check out VacuVita. I got one a few months back and it's great. The storage containers hold the seal amazingly well and stack neatly in the freezer. The bags hold the seal for the 1st use but don't seem to seal as well after a few uses. Small container holds about 12oz of beans and the medium about 2 pounds.

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Feb 01, 2017, 8:15 pm

You may not need a whole new machine. Foodsavers work fine until their foam gaskets begin to wear. Replacement gaskets are available. To test a gasket, wet your finger and moisten the top and bottom gaskets all the way around. Then do a vacuum seal before they dry out. If it seals properly then get new gaskets. If it does not, then it is either the pump is shot (rare) or the seals are in really bad shape. I have extended the use of a set of seals by removing them and turning them over, but this does not work for long.

bronsht

Postby bronsht » Feb 01, 2017, 8:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. From the beginning it has been this way. So was the hand held one I first had from a tv sales pitch which was hand held and that company was purchased by FS. I think either they are not high quality or else I simply don't do something correctly. Don't wish to trash a company and am willing to accept responsibility.

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » Feb 02, 2017, 12:59 pm

If you decide to consider a Vacmaster machine, I got a great price and prompt delivery from this vendor:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/

I bought the Vacmaster 210 as I prefer to seal in Mason jars but watch for sales on their site.

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Feb 02, 2017, 1:27 pm

bronsht wrote:Thank you for your reply. From the beginning it has been this way. So was the hand held one I first had from a tv sales pitch which was hand held and that company was purchased by FS. I think either they are not high quality or else I simply don't do something correctly. Don't wish to trash a company and am willing to accept responsibility.

Foodsaver has changed hands once or twice over the years. I believe that Jarden Home Brands owns them now. They also own Ball/Kerr canning jars. They typically sell for $100-$150 & can be bought for less during semi annual promotions. Compare that to their competition which sells for 2-3 times as much. If you want high quality you'll have to spend more then what Foodsaver charges. That said your machine should have worked properly out of the box & if it didn't you should have had it replaced under the warranty.

I'm still using the same model V2480 Foodsaver I bought a decade ago. Had to modify it for manual control a few years ago when the lid latch broke as Jarden doesn't supply much in the way of replacement parts outside of the gasket set. Works even better then before since I now control when the vacuum process cuts off but I never had any issues with it sealing bags & jars.
LMWDP 267

bronsht

Postby bronsht » Feb 02, 2017, 5:16 pm

Betty's nephew abd John B: Thank you for the replies. I'm willing to go to the VM350. Hope it can be used on mason jars. I'm still looking.

espresso artifacts for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso - espresso artifacts for serious baristas
dmw010

Postby dmw010 » Feb 02, 2017, 6:17 pm

I've been using the following for the past several months:

Vacuum pump: http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers ... ml#start=2

Jar adapter: http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-an ... ml#start=1

Ball jars: http://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-reg ... MA&start=4

This setup works fine and was very inexpensive.

Randy G.

Postby Randy G. » Feb 02, 2017, 6:31 pm

Why would you want to vacuum seal coffee? Is it roasted or green? if anything, I would want to pressure seal in CO2 to hold in as much of the flavor, oils, and gases in the bean instead of leaving them in a vacuum where those elements are pulled out of the bean? I do neither, but just saying...
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Feb 02, 2017, 7:31 pm

Come on Randy?? Have you followed any of the many threads on freezing coffee beans? Do you really believe that vacuum sealing will pull the flavor, oils & gases out of the beans??????????????
LMWDP 267