Tried Paradise Roasters lately?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Javacat
Equipment: GS/3 MP / Anfim SC / Quest M3

Postby Javacat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:59 am

Has anyone tried any of Paradises' blends lately? I jumped on a few bags seeing that the shipping was so cheap. It's been a while since I last tasted any of Miguel's offerings. Decided on the Nuevo. Oh how I miss the Indian Sitara that he used to have.

Boldjava
Equipment: '82 Oly Cremina Lever and Macap MC4. Gene Cafe. Partial to homeroasts.

Postby Boldjava » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 am

Miguel isn't blending any more; Aaron, his brother, remains at Paradise. Miguel is roasting/consulting on the Big Island.

official US importer for Olympia Express
Kokal
Equipment: La Pavoni professional, Pavoni grinder, Speedster, M3 grinder

Postby Kokal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Nuevo from Paradise is my favorite for espresso. I've tried all of their espressos and most are very good. Since I live 100 miles from them I normally get the coffee delivered the day after it is roasted. I'll buy 5 lb bags and freeze in pint size canning jars so the coffee is always fresh when I need it. Paradise is also very flexible with their orders/mixtures. For example my weekday drip blend is half decaf/half regular, and they're very receptive to custom orders of whatever I want. No association.. just a happy customer.

sweaner
Equipment: Quickmill Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La Peppina, Bunn Trifecta MB, Lido 2 #79, Pharos #52!

Postby sweaner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Paradise is just not the same since they discontinued the first Home-Barista MVP blend. :wink:
Scott
LMWDP #248

Man does not live by coffee alone...we need beer too.

bluesman13
Equipment: Vivaldi II, Macap M4, Chemex, Virtuoso

Postby bluesman13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 am

I don't think Paradise has been the same since Miguel left. I've ordered some beans from them (I live in Los Angeles now), there has been some inconsistency in their roast and quality control.

bean2friends
Equipment: mini Vivaldi, compak k10, RK drum and Huky

Postby bean2friends » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I think their green beans are terrific. I especially like their Romance blend and their Decaf by Paradise.

bluesman13
Equipment: Vivaldi II, Macap M4, Chemex, Virtuoso

Postby bluesman13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:02 pm

well I guess that shows what I know - I checked Coffee Review after I posted, and there are four of their roasted beans in the last month rated over 90!

RapidCoffee
Team HB
Equipment: Mazzer Robur, LaSpaziale S1, plus every coffee brewing device invented to date ;-)

Postby RapidCoffee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Reality check: with one exception, every single Paradise offering has been rated 90 or above by Ken Davids at Coffee Review since 2004. (That exception is an Indian SO robusta, which "only" scored 89.) You can draw your own conclusions...

There aren't that many good dark roasts around. Gimme! Leftist and Paradise Nuevo are both very enjoyable.
John

malachi
Equipment: a couple nice cupping spoons and various loaner, demo, test and prototype machines

Postby malachi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 am

what john said
"Taste is the only morality." -- John Ruskin