Top cafes in Montreal

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spiffdude

#1: Post by spiffdude »

Someone on this forum asked me recently what were the good places to have an espresso in Montreal. Making up the list made me realize that the coffee scene in Montreal has changed a lot in the last couple of years and typing up the response what quite fun. I figured i'd make a thread for other people passing through coming to my town and looking for a decent shot.

PS: this list is totally bias, i am by no means a coffee expert!

PSS: yeah they are all 3rd wave shops and there will be hipsters and fixed gears bikes and Macbooks (damn, i own all of those things too...)

PSSS: no i did not notice them trying to push SO drip on me. I will make a point to try and verify this next time!

Myriade. What can i say, they are consistent sons of ***, never had a bad shot there. Some of the baristi in there attend the canadian barista competitions, if that's an indication of anything). They use mainly 49th Parallel, Ritual Roasters. On occasion, they will have some other roasters such as Intelligentsia (not sure if this one will ever be back ever), Phil and Sebastian. I think i also saw some Grumpy once.

Café Saint-Henri. Passionate people, nuff said. Seriously, they source their coffee, they roast it and they provide regular tastings of their offerings, what else would you want? Oh wait, your shot will be prepared on a LaMarzocco Strada. They have their own roasts, no US big shot names here sir. Try the God Shot.

Pikolo. A new little place next to my fav wine bar. It's small, cosy and inviting. There is no attitude to be had here. They are always up for a chat on coffee and will share parameters so you can experiment at home. They have Phil and Sebastian coffee, my favorite Canadian roaster at this time; They used to be engineers, i guess that explains it!

Cafe Neve. This is the place to be if you want to be seen. Very in vogue, very Plateau Mont-Royal. I haven't been here as much so i can't really elaborate. What i can confirm is that they are serious about coffee. They have Metropolis, including the very popular Red Line espresso.

Cafe Flocon. Actually Neve's little brother. Same atmosphere, smaller format. I really like this place, it's got a barebones no fuss no muss kinda feeling. It's about coffee. They have Metropolis of course but it's also the only place you can find Stumptown. Fresh from the States, 3-4 days post roast!

Cafe Plume. This one has just recently opened. Wouldn't show up in Google Maps, i had to get directions from the guys at Myriade (yes, all of these people go out together on Thursday night, we have a very friendly coffee community). This is a cool place, they support local artists and make espresso by the numbers (i saw the baristia doing is dial-in and setup with temp and weight). They are the only place to get Verve coffee. Oh, they also have some mighty good snacks to go along with a nice tight cappa!

These are the places i know and go to regularly. There might be others, but i think this is the top.

Last week they opened a starbucks next to where i live. It was full the minute the doors opened :? I went in and had a shot and a latte. Both utterly undrinkable. Burn coffee from a superauto and scalded milk with bubbles the size of a small dog. This place is NOT on my list.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

coffeestork

#2: Post by coffeestork »

Enjoyed your post and round up of all the new places, and will try to add them to my EspressoMaps on my blog. (Along with some of my old favourites Caffe in Gamba and Veritas)

More importantly, I will try to make it to some of these new places during a Christmas time visit from Toronto.

Advertisement
spiffdude (original poster)

#3: Post by spiffdude (original poster) »

Thanks Michael, i actually meant to put In Gamba on that list. Take note that it is JF Leduc from In Gamba that started Cafe Saint-Henri! He is involved in the selection and roasting process.

TheMuffinMan01

#4: Post by TheMuffinMan01 »

Shout out to my buddy Tony, he just opened Pourquoi Pas Espresso Bar. He's using Te Aro beans and is extremely talented. Going out to visit him soon, so come visit when I'm there!

gegtik

#5: Post by gegtik »

just posting to say thanks

- another expat

johnlyn

#6: Post by johnlyn »

I'm heading back to the homeland on friday and look forward to using this post as a guide to cafes that I didn't know before I left. cheeeeers! I'll post a reply of those that I do manage to hit in my absolutely non hip rental compact car.

john

jptvelo

#7: Post by jptvelo »

Sigh... I spent this past weekend in Montreal and made it to Gamba, Veritas, Myriade, and Neve. All very, very good shots. And now I learn that there's even MORE great cafes!?!? You guys in Montreal have it really good. When will Ottawa get at least one serious cafe like these?

Thanks for the list!

Advertisement
mariobarba

#8: Post by mariobarba »

Cafe Olimpico on St-Viateur is really good too. More Italian style than 3rd wave.

If you are ever in the East End of Mtl try any one of these: http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/c ... howDD=true.

Sandwiches at Cafe Milano and Ciociaro Sports bar are also something to write home about.

spiffdude (original poster)

#9: Post by spiffdude (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for chipping in with more suggestions!

I agree that we Montrealers have it good as far as coffee and food go. 8)

coffeestork

#10: Post by coffeestork »

One more addition, I added a Montreal version of the espresso spots mentioned to my EspressoMaps ... http://www.coffeestork.com/map.html ... besides Café Myriade which is a favorite, I'm looking to add ratings to them as I visit