To cream or not to cream?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ben8jam

#1: Post by ben8jam »

So espresso aside, do you guys and gals drink cream, milk, soy, almond, powdered, etc in your drip, press, pour over style coffee?

I've been on a french-press binge while I wait for part for grinder and don't enjoy black coffee as much without some half-n-half in it. It always just tastes a tad watery (granted I have a lot to learn in perfecting home brewing).

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

Well, I think everything tastes better with cream. After all, ice cream is my number 1 snack. But, there are the calories to consider ...... and my cholesterol, so I avoid it in my coffee for the most part. My go to drink though is an Americano with steamed milk - a double espresso pulled on top of hot water and about the same quantity of steamed milk poured on top. I can even do a little latte art that way.

ben8jam (original poster)

#3: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

I love Americanos as well. With the french press testing I've been doing, I've been warming a mix of almond milk and half and half to a slight foamy bubble and adding to the pressed coffee).

aecletec

#4: Post by aecletec »

Nope. Once you go (quality) black, you never go back.

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee replying to aecletec »

Pretty much it. I do enjoy a latte or cafe au laite at times though.

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

aecletec wrote:Nope. Once you go (quality) black, you never go back.
+1

Im actually repulsed by the taste of creamer in coffee now. How the times have changed

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

I always have some milk in a bit of coffee following making milk drinks using the lever group. Otherwise, black.
LMWDP #198

ben8jam (original poster)

#8: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Hmmmm... so black is the consensus.

So wonder why my French Press always tastes on the too weak side and watery. I know it'll never have that creamy texture of espresso, but it's not really a nice drink by itself. The cream seems to give it the thickness I'm expecting.

I am using French Roast (from whole foods, not the best, but they let me buy small amounts at a time). Using these guidelines. I really want my coffee to taste like what I have at family in Europe on their french press, but I've never been able to accomplish it.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#9: Post by EspressoForge replying to ben8jam »

It's a combination of the coffee, water and your brew ratio. Sometimes too filtered water can give a thin body, sometimes people I've seen tend to go a bit light when adding grounds. But most of the time, it's the coffee.

Go for a dry processed coffee from an online roaster and forget about the "French Roast" for French Press.

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec replying to EspressoForge »

+eleventy