To cream or not to cream? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kaldi61

#21: Post by kaldi61 »

I prefer a bit of half-and-half in my brewed coffee. Many coffees I like tend to the acidic and the cream does such nice things to the mixture. It is true that the right coffee, black, needs nothing else.

Espresso is an entirely different story. What other way is there to drink it than as a triple-skinny-caramel-latte? I know I'm a relatively new poster so I shouldn't make silly jokes. :lol:

I agree with the comments that you should look into your brew ratio - and 7 grams of beans per 100 grams of water is a reasonable starting point.

I would also suggest trying something that is not French Roast. That roast, by definition, is at the end of 2nd crack, which is very late in the roasting process. Roasting and flavor is like gas and clutch in driving a manual transmission - as one goes up the other goes down. After the 1st crack roast flavor goes up and bean flavor starts to go down. While that may be an oversimplification, and you have some serious roasters in this forum who could lecture for years on the changes that truly take place between the roasting cracks, it is clear that by the time you get to the 2nd crack most if not all of the tasty coffee bean flavors have been roasted out. That's French Roast.

I would look for a high-end roaster who will only sell beans roasted within a day or two. Then try and select a product that allows you to enjoy more of the interesting coffee flavors I think you are looking for. If you ever happen to buy beans that are oily, it is a clear sign they are getting into 2nd crack, and that is not what you are looking for. A nice rich brown color and the surface should be completely dry. That's a bean you may get some taste out of. Maybe...
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

JmanEspresso

#22: Post by JmanEspresso »

kaldi61 wrote:I prefer a bit of half-and-half in my brewed coffee. Many coffees I like tend to the acidic and the cream does such nice things to the mixture. It is true that the right coffee, black, needs nothing else.
As much a cliche as it is, some of my favorite coffee is from Ethiopia. Recently, there havent been as many kickass Dry Process ethiopians as there were in the past, but some still pop up. But, when that ideal(for me) ethiopian comes around.. Amaro Gayo a couple years ago, more recently, the Nekisse, and your presented with flavors of dark and milk chocolate, contrasted by ______berries, and maybe some cream or spice.. oh man. THIS is an excellent coffee to enjoy black, and if its really excellent, even people who say they never taste any of the flavors in a coffee, will be able to cleary taste the berries. It ALSO happens to be a coffee which just goes excellent with a skosh of half and half.

If there is no shame in enjoying a cappuccino, there is equally no shame in enjoying a brewed cup with a spot of half and half.

kaldi61

#23: Post by kaldi61 »

Now you are speaking my language.

If I'm not drinking Ethiopian, I'm wishing I was drinking Ethiopian.

Especially if it's from Harar. After all, I am a goatherd from the highlands of Ethiopia, as you can tell from my handle. Just got a pound of Reko (Yirgacheffe) from Heart, we'll see how it cups.
-Nelson

brianl

#24: Post by brianl »

I think of half and half and the like when someone mentions cream or the larger lattes and caps. However, My SO likes the cortados/small caps (about 4oz milk to 1 oz espresso) and the results can be quite delicious as the milk can bring out things from the coffee that I don't get from a straight espresso. Any more milk than that and it usually just ends up tasting like, well, milk.

JmanEspresso

#25: Post by JmanEspresso »

kaldi61 wrote:Now you are speaking my language.

If I'm not drinking Ethiopian, I'm wishing I was drinking Ethiopian.

Especially if it's from Harar. After all, I am a goatherd from the highlands of Ethiopia, as you can tell from my handle. Just got a pound of Reko (Yirgacheffe) from Heart, we'll see how it cups.

Oh. Dude.

The Reko is freaking awesome. Im at the end of my bag. Sad times indeed. But, absolutely incredible coffee. I brewed it through the Syphon, Clever and V60. Couldnt pick a favorite, they were all great. The other Heart coffee Ive had this past order is the Colombia La Piramide(which I just checked, and is no longer on the site). Very excellent as well, but the Reko wins best coffee in my house this week, by far. This was my first time trying Heart, and I am very impressed. I assume their espresso will be too bright for me, but thats cool, Ill still brew their coffee any day of the week. Personal note, Day 3 and 4 of the Reko I thought it was "great". Day 5 was when I said, WOW. YMMV

kaldi61

#26: Post by kaldi61 »

I agree completely. The Reko is exceptional, best I've had in a long time. Like a rich cup of hot chocolate for grownups without the sugar. Normally I stick to home roasting but am away on an assignment for an extended period so am ordering. Found Heart, and they roast like I try to roast, only i'm a reasonably competent amateur and they're pros. This is the third varietal I have tried from them but the best yet. Excellent bean.
-Nelson