Tim Wendelboe Mutheka Kenya

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

This is a roast from Tim Wendelboe, Oslo Norway, Mutheka Kenya beans from Nyeri, Washed SL28 SL34, light roast, roasted on 13.08.2014, Clever brew. Very light roasted, with a still slightly rough texture to the beans. Very clean beans, with very few visible defects. 30 grams ground in Rosco hand grinder, brewed for four minutes in 439g of water at 94-92 degrees.

The blackcurrants in the aroma five days post roast are overwhelming. The coffee from the Clever is juicy, black currant and blueberry tasting with a long clean fruit acid finish. The body is syrupy and really sticks to the inside of the mouth. As it cools the sweetness really comes forward and starts to feel like drinking a black currant jam and just a hint of caramel.

Really like this, I sometimes do not like the "green bean" taste in very light roasts, and luckily that flavor is almost totally absent in this roast until the coffee is totally cooled to room temperature, then it is very slight.
LMWDP #371

fadgadget72

#2: Post by fadgadget72 »

I had this exact same Wendelboe coffee today, also brewed on a Clever! I agree with your notes, I found it to be quite remarkable. Actually among the best Kenyans I have ever tasted. But how are you able to maintain a 92-94 degree brew temperature in the Clever? I have a heard time retaining heat with this brewer, and I usually have an average temperature of around 85-86 Celsius through the brew. Even if I start of with water straight from boil.

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Amund,

Yes! It is a great roast, the most clear black currant flavor I have ever tasted in a coffee, I agree it is one of the best Kenya coffees I have ever had as well.

The 92-94 degress is just the brew water temp at the start of brewing, I bloomed it for 30 seconds then added the rest of the water and used the clever lid. I always think of brew temp for immersion brewing as just the starting temperature for the water, as it has to set and will naturally cool in a Clever, or a press pot or an Aeropress. This is one reason I like Syphon coffee brewing with a halogen light, the coffee can be immersion brewed at a very stable temp during the entire brew process, so at least it is precise between brews.
LMWDP #371

treyrox

#4: Post by treyrox »

While not roasted by Wendelboe, I'm guessing the beans are likely from the same batch. I have been drinking Mutheka FCS beans from Sensory Lab for the past 3 days via V60 and this Kenyan coffee is fruity, juicy and truly outstanding.