Terroir- El Salv Malaclara Lot 120-Thoughts

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JmanEspresso

#1: Post by JmanEspresso »

I just opened this coffee today, three days out. The aroma from the bag doesn't present much other than "coffee and sweet", which is inline with what the bag says.

Brewed in the Hario V60, 26grams of coffee, and with the whole thing on a scale(cone, vessel, coffee) and tared, I poured water until 450grams. Thats been my general brewing ratio for the cup I like for a little while now.

the brewed coffee smells, in one word, sweet. Just pure sweetness.

The taste is quite what I expected. It tastes like the example of "Coffee". There is some tart acidity, almost tannic, but its slight, and not overbearing. There is a hint of milk chocolate, very smooth. Maybe some almond notes floating around. But all of this is wrapped up in major major sweetness. Almost like I added sugar to the coffee. And the body is thick, but not heavy. It doesn't linger around very long, but while its there, it coats your mouth nicely.

This is really an awesome coffee, and Im suprised how simple it is. But then again, its George Howell, I should expect nothing but the best. The reason I posted this was because, this is a LIGHT roast. And Ive had a number of very light roasted coffees lately(as espresso btw), and have been overly dissapointed with how, not good they were. Sour, almost like they are not roasted well. So I was skeptical here.

But this is how light roasted coffee should taste. Origin flavor, covering the whole cup. Not a cup of lime juice with sour apple on top. If you want to try a light roasted coffee that has wonderful sweetness and is just plain delicous, I highly suggest you try this bean. I will report back as the coffee ages a bit.

Peli

#2: Post by Peli »

I cupped some Malacara at the roaster I just started at, and it was by far my favorite coffee of the lot. The one I had was pulped natural, and it showed in the cup. Very sweet, fruit forward.

http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=2910

I just might grab some Terroir to compare side by side.
~Lowly Barista at Joe Van Gogh's of North Carolina~

JmanEspresso (original poster)

#3: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

Its quite delicious, Ive been drinking it all week along with a Guatemala I bought from Terrior as well. I plan to give my thougts on the coffee once Ive finished it up. Probably two more cups Ill get out of it for the V60, or maybe Ill use it all for Syphon.

Early comments- SWEET.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Sounds great--you've got my attention. This would be a nice introduction to Terroir for me, I have a feeling. Need to clear some space in the coffee pantry first though...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#5: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

Definitely an interesting coffee. One I would buy again for sure.

Early on, its pretty simple. Chocolate, creamy body, sugary sweet. IF you are a cream/sugar fan, this coffee needs no sugar. I do like cream in my brewed coffee, and this coffee is wonderful with a splash of cream(Half and Half is what I mean when I say cream), but it is also superb without it. I bring it up because even guys who never add Cream might want to try a splash in this coffee. Me, I like both with and without, so its win win

as it ages, the acidity becomes noticeable, and then tones down. Never becomes loud. It is tannic and tart, but subtle. Can't taste it through cream at all. The sweetness for me hit a high around day 7.. That particular cup was for me, the best. A little bit of fruitiness comes through as the days pass as well.

Overall this coffee is a winner for me. I think Social Coffee&Tea has a pulp nat. lot roasted for espresso, but their Canada, so Ill probably not get to try it out myself. I think it would make good espresso if that chocolate were more pronounced and the sweetness could stay as well. Definitely a lovely example of both a great El Salvador, and a great light roasted coffee.

Peli

#6: Post by Peli »

We just roasted the last of our pulped natural Malacara! I'd probably have a hard time getting my hands on some.

A quick google search doesn't show any other U.S. roasters that has something comparable.
~Lowly Barista at Joe Van Gogh's of North Carolina~

#7: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

Yeah ive browsed quickly and I didn't see it , or another lot in the US. But like I said, Social has it on offering, idk how their shipping to the US goes, maybe someone else has bought from them before and can give a comment.