Taste testing and price comparing with Redbird, Illy, and Lavazza - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mariobarba

#71: Post by mariobarba »

Just an update. It has been almost a year since I purchased a bag of Lavazza (I've been on an espresso walkabout). Just last week I picked up a bag of Top Class and it is still as good as I remembered it. For fans of classic Italian espresso, at 26$/kg you really can't go wrong.

peacecup

#72: Post by peacecup »

Whatever happened to that lever machine idea?

My newest bean is Musetti Arabica Dulce, which lives up to its name.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
mariobarba

#73: Post by mariobarba »

Still looking for the lever. Haven't decided if I want a spring lever or not. I've had my eye on a Pavoni Professional for 350$.

I haven't seen Musetti around here, but my mom is bringing back a bag of Passalacqua from Naples on June 16th.

kkillebrew (original poster)

#74: Post by kkillebrew (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:Just an update. It has been almost a year since I purchased a bag of Lavazza (I've been on an espresso walkabout). Just last week I picked up a bag of Top Class and it is still as good as I remembered it. For fans of classic Italian espresso, at 26$/kg you really can't go wrong.
I really like the Super Crema but have not tried all the Lavazza blends because, as you say, if you don't like it then you are stuck with a kilo. I will say I did not care for their Grand Espresso much, gave it away, but a few weeks back I was in Chicago at the Lavazza Expressions bar next to the Drake Hotel (great place!) and they have now changed from Top Class to a new roast called Expressions. I picked up a 1 lb bag (you can get fresh 1lb bags at the Lavazza coffee bars but nowhere else that I know of) of the new stuff and it is pretty darn good. My tastes seem to change though as I now find I like Red Bird once again as my favorite.