Takahiro Kettle does not stay on...

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chefwong

#1: Post by chefwong »

Just got my Takahiro kettle. How is yours holding up....

Cause on mine, the Kettle does not stay on...I suspect the detent tab is just not pressed out far enough....

leon

#2: Post by leon »

Do you mean the lid of the kettle? If so, the one I've used has a fairly loose lid. Turn the lid so the steam hole is facing away from the handle and the lid should stay on fine when you're pouring.

That's assuming I've understood your question correctly. If not, just ignore...

chefwong (original poster)

#3: Post by chefwong (original poster) »

Indeed the lid. I would have expected that you could ~snap~ the lid into place like most kettle lids...

The lid does have a detent in it to retain it in place. But it comes out fairly easy.
With your note about the steam hole position, the detent is to the rear of the kettle.
Maybe it's designed to be *loose* as I did a quick test in a pour position, and while the lid does have some play as if
it's going to coming off, the detent in that position sorta keeps it from tipping out.

leon

#4: Post by leon »

Yes, the Takahiro is kind of unusual in having that loose lid. After some time I've grown to like that, though. Being able to take the lid off easily with one hand is a handy feature. With my other kettle (a Paico) the tight fitting lid requires that I have one hand on the handle of the kettle to hold it steady while I pull the lid off. And despite the lid of the Takahiro being so loose I've never had it fall off while pouring.

Capitol

#5: Post by Capitol »

Indeed the lid. I would have expected that you could ~snap~ the lid into place like most kettle lids...
My Takahiro lid doesn't snap into place, and I don't believe it was intended to. No other kettles I have, or have used, have lids that snap into place either (Hario Buono, Bonavita, Level Kettle). FWIW, I pour with my dominant hand holding onto the handle and my other hand resting a finger or two on top of the lid. It keeps the lid from moving/falling off but more importantly really helps me stabilize the kettle and control my flow (which is very precise with the Takahiro).