Switched from Illy to Black Cat - WOW! - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Rybolt

#21: Post by Rybolt »

timo888 wrote:Rybolt, "local roasted" identifies place, not time (i.e. not the age of the roast). My local roaster has bags on the shelf three weeks old! Your Black Cat is only a few days old, i.e. very fresh, possibly not even ready for use yet. A fresh roast requires a coarser grind, and you go finer as the roast ages. Your grinder may be dialed in for a.....well-aged... roast.
Yes, you're right. Unfortunately that was the best roast I could find, until recently discovering Black Cat at the Whole Foods right down the road from me (thank god).

Thanks to this comment and the previous one, I made the correct adjustments and I am back on track. :D

another_jim
Team HB

#22: Post by another_jim »

I split off the list of great roasters Jason posted so it is an easily found FAQ. Thanks Jason.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
malachi

#23: Post by malachi »

gj91 wrote: Has anyone had any luck with Illy. What was your secret. Or is this just the difference between fresh roasted vs. on the shelf for a long time coffee.
Yes.
In Italy and in Greece.
What's in the cup is what matters.

arcangel6

#24: Post by arcangel6 »

another_jim wrote:I'm guessing this slamming of Illy is probably due more to people not pulling it right than the coffee itself. Illy is a a North Italian Espresso, not a "North Italian Espresso" made in Seattle or Chicago, but the real thing. It needs to be pulled at 14 grams, at 90C, and at 50ml in 25 seconds -- no ifs ands or buts. If you can't manage that; you haven't pulled it right. If you don't like light roasts and acidic coffees, don't judge.
Hi Jim,

Just saw your post.....point taken regarding the Illy. It was not my intention to slam Illy but I guess I did. I still use their ESE Pods in my office. I have used the parameters you list above with my home machine and a freshly opened can of Illy normale roast. I think my preference leans away from "light roasts and acidic coffees". I still need to try their darker roasts.

Regards,

Joe

Benjammer

#25: Post by Benjammer »

I've tried other brands of fresh roasted beans (like Black cat) but I wanted to try Illy since I've seen so many good reviews commenting on how great it is.
I tried it and I didn't find it very good at all. I tried illy medium roast in a can. It just tastes like 'coffee' dark carbony coffee, not much flavour/complexity to it, which I like in an espresso.

Most people in their positive reviews just say it's NOT bitter. I realized most people don't comment on the flavour though. Just that it's very smooth and non-bitter, which people seem to like. Maybe it's good for people who drink espresso straight? In a cappuccino it's very uninspiring for me at least. I Think a little bitterness is necessary.
I think true espresso connoisseurs, will make notes on its flavour profile, is it caramellly? Chocolaty? Almondy tasting? Fruity? Etc. which is absent from most Illy reviews, I should have known.
I also read one bad review saying that Illy only tastes ok for about 5 days after opening the can and goes bad really quickly. I don't think I've really bothered trying it after 5 days, it was that uninspiring. I feel ripped off for the same price or cheaper I could have gotten fresh roasted organic or fair-trade whole bean coffee :o