Sweetest beans you've made espresso with?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
coryforsenate

#1: Post by coryforsenate »

Hi all, I did some googling around and also searched here and haven't really found much, so I thought I'd ask.

What's the sweetest espresso you've made, with the perception coming either from lack of bitter qualities or from a surplus of sweet?

tamarian

#2: Post by tamarian »

For me that would be Indian Malabar.

Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

Haiti. Nothing else has ever come close in the last 20-odd years. See http://www.coffeeco.com.au/newsletter/february2010.html . I'm still trying to get hold of some more.

Alan

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Low or medium altitude, pulp naturals from central or south America are basically too sweet and flat for single origin shots. If you need some coffee based sugar for your espresso blend, these are it. Illy is a big promoter of this category.
Jim Schulman

heavyduty

#5: Post by heavyduty »

another_jim wrote:Low or medium altitude, pulp naturals from central or south America are basically too sweet and flat for single origin shots.
A few weeks back, I had some Verve El Salvador La Roxanita Honey Espresso (no longer available) that was very sweet but I don't remember it being flat (perhaps higher altitude). Also, CCC's Bufcafe Natural Sundried Microlot from Rwanda is sweet and fruity. As their site says, it's a juicy jammy fruit bomb. Definitely one of the fruitiest coffees I've ever had which adds to the impression of sweetness.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

coryforsenate (original poster)

#6: Post by coryforsenate (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, when I get low on my beans I'll order a pack.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Klatches Nicaragua Marlene Lagos Honey roasted light is very sweet IMHO. I am blending it with their El Salvador Orange Bourbon and a nice Papua New Guinea right now.
Dave Stephens

samircanada

#8: Post by samircanada »

Alan, I was recently in Haiti for work and I had some coffee there by ti-georges it was exceptional. I googled him when I came back and it turns out he has a website and you can get the beans in the u.s. I am not sure about the freshness but I would try to order :)

Alan Frew

#9: Post by Alan Frew replying to samircanada »

A quiet note of warning: not all Haitian coffees are equal (or, perhaps, Haitian.) I recently roasted and cupped a sample of a purported "Haitian Bleu" . It was so dead it wouldn't vroom with 40,000 volts put through it. If it hadn't been nailed to the perch it would have been pushing up the daisies, and mind you this was cupped against a 2 years old but-well-stored sample of Haiti grand cru de Beaumont. It tasted more like a 5 years old NYBOT Brazil than anything else, not faulty but not anything else either.

Given the price that was being asked it hovered on the edge of scam territory, a bit like JBM. The Beaumont was still amazingly sweet, but any further Haiti purchases will only be made on the basis that the LC will be paid AFTER each bag is sampled.

Alan

samircanada

#10: Post by samircanada »

http://www.coffeehaitian.com/

Here is the link my friend. You wouldn't be out a lot of money to try it. But like I said I bought a bag of his in Haiti and it made for a great espresso. Some beans roasted lighter than others which I like for my espresso. And also not much oil on the beans. Lovely crema, the main aromas and flavors to me where the chocolate hazelnut and vanilla. Very smooth coffee that I enjoyed very much.

About it coming from Haiti, I wouldn't doubt it one bit given it wouldn't be worth it to import for sale in Haiti.