Stumptown coffee preparation/tasting notes - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
malachi

#41: Post by malachi »

That was then.
What's in the cup is what matters.

atao
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by atao »

Chris (or anyone), based on your comments about El Injerto ... I was wondering if you had any tips about how to get both a juicy and sweet shot together. If i pull a shot a little faster, i think it ends up bringing out the fruit flavors more. If i pull it tighter and a little longer time but similar weight, it trends towards sweeter/chocolate. I had this experience of getting a very nice shot at 4-barrel of friendo blendo that had both the fruit + sweet duality but then when i tried to repro at home, i was only getting one or the other profile. Maybe this is difficult to generalize but i thought i'd ask...

Advertisement
JmanEspresso

#43: Post by JmanEspresso »

Not difficult to understand at all.

Difficult to achieve however.

Welcome to the club. Getting a bean to shows its best colors in a shot of espresso is one of the goals anyone who cares about coffee and espresso strives for. I know I do. Actually achieving and walking that fine line?

Well, knowing is only half the battle.

malachi

#44: Post by malachi »

atao wrote:Chris (or anyone), based on your comments about El Injerto ... I was wondering if you had any tips about how to get both a juicy and sweet shot together. If i pull a shot a little faster, i think it ends up bringing out the fruit flavors more. If i pull it tighter and a little longer time but similar weight, it trends towards sweeter/chocolate. I had this experience of getting a very nice shot at 4-barrel of friendo blendo that had both the fruit + sweet duality but then when i tried to repro at home, i was only getting one or the other profile. Maybe this is difficult to generalize but i thought i'd ask...
Have you tried my spec above as a starting point?
What brew temp are you at?
When you say "tighter and longer but similar weight" are you talking dosed weight or weight of shot?
What dose are you at?
What's the weight of the shot at the end (or the ratio if you prefer)?

Remember... if you can't get the desired profile by changing just the grind - you might need to change dose and/or temp.
What's in the cup is what matters.

atao
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by atao »

Sorry Chris, i was vague. I meant that question to be a general question, in the vein of espresso 101. But I did just get some El Injerto, so let me try our your protocol and see how it goes.

Chert (original poster)

#46: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Chelbessa

In the Pasquini 15 grams in the MCAL basket tight ristretto, I tasted a burst of fruity, spicy flavors with a slightly bitter finish, can't wait to tweak the extraction. Very strongly recommended for single origin espresso!
LMWDP #198

roadman
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by roadman »

Yeah, that Chelbessa is some nice coffee. Just terrific as drip. Notes of jasmine, lime, dark chocolate and a bit pineapple, just like it says on the label. A 15.5g shot of espresso pulled on a Cremina had the same highlights with the addition of blueberry.
Many of the florals disappeared by the 5th day after roast, but it was sure fun while it lasted. By day 5 the florals were more muted with the chocolaty taste predominating. Still had good taste and body but lost that extra special edge. The baristas were super enthusiastic about this coffee and it was easy to see why.

Regarding SO roasted for espresso: at a Stumptown cupping last month, I asked why they're no longer doing SO espresso roasts. I was told that they've been moving toward lighter roast profiles across the board, including coffee that can be pulled as espresso.

Had a good time cupping at Stumptown. The person conducting it was totally friendly, interested, and welcoming. A great experience for this first timer.

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#48: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Finca El Injerto Bourbon is a very tasty cup this year! 17 grams aeropress 95 C 240 mL water stir at 45 sec 30 mL more water 1 more minute then plunge. Great stuff!
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#49: Post by Chert (original poster) »

This post could equally apply to the "What is wowing you" thread.

A shot of Duromina as americano from the Seattle Stumptown roastery cafe. The clarity of the tangerine note in that cup was fabulous.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#50: Post by Chert (original poster) »

STUMPTOWN BIES PENANTAN

Try this one folks. A very tasty espresso, pulled on the hot side with the richness of its origin. sweetness, complexity. spice/herbal.
LMWDP #198