Stumptown coffee preparation/tasting notes - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Chert (original poster)

#31: Post by Chert (original poster) »

TheSunInsideYou wrote: I'd be interested to see how sweet it is as espresso. Let us know!

--Dave
To my taste, sweetness was the most prominent note using 15 grams extracted 28 second or 34 seconds for the two shots I pulled this morning. I hope more discernible flavors open out as the bean ages a bit.
LMWDP #198

roadman
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by roadman »

Chert wrote:Anyone at Stumptown listening? BRING OUT SINGLE ORIGIN ESPRESSO ROASTS!
---
But those few bags of Duromina and Mordecofe and Finca El Injerto Bourbon that were roasted for espresso extraction were soo tasty. I remain disappointed that I can no longer acquire the Stumptown single origins roasted for espresso extraction.
Flint, I could not agree with you more!!
Your post, the memory of those coffees, and the fact that I was running low on beans inspired a visit to Stumptown today.
I asked who to get in touch with about bringing back those great SO espresso roasts. The barista suggested contacting the roast crew directly and gave contact info. If you or anyone else would like to get in touch with Stumptown about this, PM me and I'll happily send along that info to you.

Jon

Chert (original poster)

#33: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Jon,

I don't mind if I do. PM to you.

As far as the bag of Huye Mountain goes, the shots were never well defined, but the best ones from the Pavoni or the Pasquini were a melding of flavors reminiscent to my palate of cherry cola. Pretty good. Might be even better as espresso profile roast...
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#34: Post by Chert (original poster) »

My office espresso drinking buddy brought some more Huye Mountain from Stumptown. Pulled with the Pasquini the flavors have really grown on me. I think that Cherry cola description fits pretty well. It also reminds me of those shots that are likely smooth rich chocolate/coffee surrounding a little berry note, in this case, cherry.
LMWDP #198

Intrepid510

#35: Post by Intrepid510 »

On the Huye Mountain how light is it roasted for the filter profile? I don't trust my Preciso with anything I would consider light, ie Ritual, when grinding fine enough for espresso.

malachi

#36: Post by malachi »

El Injerto Bourbon.
Triple cherry (sour, raw, preserved) chocolate bon-bons.
Very, very nice.

18g in a VST 18g basket
199f
slightly restricted normale

Tune parameters to balance the bittersweet chocolate against the acidic sour cherry.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Chert (original poster)

#37: Post by Chert (original poster) »

malachi, Thanks for the tip. Have you any comment about Stumptown producing SOE espresso roast profile?
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#38: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:On the Huye Mountain how light is it roasted for the filter profile? I don't trust my Preciso with anything I would consider light, ie Ritual, when grinding fine enough for espresso.
As a rule, Stumptown roast profile never touches second crack. (I know they offer a french roast). Never having tried a coffee by Ritual, I'm not sure how they would compare. Interesting comment though, I guess that's is line with the fact that I find the Pharos delivers a bit more with some of these single origins than the Vario.
LMWDP #198

malachi

#39: Post by malachi »

Chert wrote:malachi, Thanks for the tip. Have you any comment about Stumptown producing SOE espresso roast profile?
I doubt anyone at Stumptown would agree with the idea that there is such a thing as an "espresso roast profile".
What's in the cup is what matters.

Chert (original poster)

#40: Post by Chert (original poster) »

That is a comment. They were marketing coffees as single origin, espresso roast.
LMWDP #198