Strange pinch in the mouth

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Marco

#1: Post by Marco »

Hello!

At the moment I make coffee using Bialetti Moka Pot and lately I've been trying the illy Single Origin line.

I noticed something strange with two of them (Ethiopia and Guatemala): as soon as I drink the coffee I have a strong pinch in an area that I roughly identify as the junction between jaw and mandible and this feeling is symmetrical (both left and right side of the mouth at the same time). This sensation is certainly not pleasant to me.
This has never happened with the other SO or blends I've tried so far using same extraction method.

Has this ever happened to you? Is it down to the coffee or to something I do wrong?

Note: I remove the moka pot from the gas hob before the so-called strombolian phase in order to avoid over-extraction and I tend to extract around 22g when I use Bialetti Moka Express 1 cup and 30g with the 3 cup model.

Thanks

day

#2: Post by day »

If it hurts when you drink, call the dentist.

Or perhaps a doctor for an ear infection or sinus infection. Unless you have something seriously wrong with your coffee, or some kind of crazy allergy....

Does it do the same for other brewing devices? If not perhaps some metal or rust is getting into the coffee and irritating a filling or something.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Advertisement
Marco (original poster)

#3: Post by Marco (original poster) »

I've only tried these two SO with my 1-cup and 3-cup moka pots.

I would rule out the moka pots from these troubleshooting because the issue is only with these 2 types of coffee and in the meantime I've been using different types of coffee as well without any issue (exactly same moka pots, same brewing method and same water).

What I did notice is that this issue is only present when I first open the tin and lasts for around 1 day...the tin has now been opened for 2 days and I've just done some experiments with the 1-cup moka pot extracting 15g first and 28g later...no problem whatsoever with either shot.

I guess me and these two SO don't get along very well when they are "fresh".

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Anatomically, as the jaw IS the mandible, I am not sure where your symptoms are?!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Marco (original poster)

#5: Post by Marco (original poster) »

I am certainly no doctor and no native speaker but I was under the impression that the jaw is the upper part and the mandible the lower part.

Anyway I'll try to explain the fact using different words...as soon as I drink these two particular types of coffee when I first open the tin, I experience a pungent feeling at the very rear part of the mouth, mid-height lateral (just to give an idea in the area at the intersection between lower and upper jaw), left and right side at the same time.

This effect disappear when the tin has been open for a couple of days and I don't experience this with any of the other coffees I've tried so far.

I start to think that whatever this is it doesn't seem to be a common thing.

day

#6: Post by day »

If it only happened one time for each of the two coffees and not like multiple times several weeks apart I would be inclined to say you probably have a cavity starting to become problematic and it was just happenstance that the temperature and placement etc was just right to irritate you on those two occasions. If it was multiple tins weeks/months apart that would be very interesting though.

aecletec

#7: Post by aecletec »

Anatomically, the jaw is the combined upper and lower part, while the mandible is the lower. Anyway this really isn't a medical forum and it sounds like it would be better to follow the prudent advice to see a relevant professional.

Advertisement
Marco (original poster)

#8: Post by Marco (original poster) »

Ok thanks for the advice.

The reason why I started the post is because I thought that what I was experiencing may have been a known effect due to something wrong with the coffee or with the brewing method for that particular coffee. I conclude that this is not the case.

I certainly agree that this is not a medical forum and I'm happy for the moderators to delete the entire post if it's not relevant to this forum.

day

#9: Post by day replying to Marco »

No worries Marco. The truth is we have no idea. I suspect as I said above but there are always more possibilities. Perhaps they changed gasses for storage and its having a reaction, maybe there was some contaminant, who knows. Definitely not a normal experience, and most likely unrelated to the coffees directly, but it's always good to keep an open mind within the frameworks of understanding probability more or less, imo!

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

I've had the same sensation from drinking certain white wines, and yes, occasionally from coffees. It's surprising when it happens but luckily it doesn't last too long. I always figured it was some kind of nerve stimulation near a salivary gland or something.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/