Square Peg Espresso from Venia Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Col_Potter

#1: Post by Col_Potter »

I don't see a thread on here yet about Square Peg Espresso blend from Venia Coffee Roasters (fairly sure they are a HB sponsor), and think it is about time to give them some credit where credit is due. I first learned of Venia some time ago from an HB banner and was surprised to see that they are fairly local to me (Seattle, WA). Didn't think much about it but then was in a shop (don't remember the name) during a business meeting and had a cappuccino...Amazing! When I finished the meeting I went back to the counter and asked what coffee they used, barista told me they were trying a new espresso from Venia.

Have been a frequent buyer of Venia's coffee ever since, and have met the owner a couple times at Coffee Fest, over the phone, and at the SCAA show. Very humble and loves to talk coffee. Also bought my bonavita kettle from them.

Back to topic, their Square Peg Espresso is really good. Blueberry and chocolate aromas when opening the bag. While not a roaster myself and can't speak authoritatively on how it is roasted, it is not by any means a dark roast, but also not a light roast. I like to drink a cappuccino/latte in the morning and boy does it sing. I often make an espresso in the early afternoon and the Square Peg is so satisfying, very full bodied and sweet. I am always trying different roasters but find myself always comparing other espresso blends to the Square Peg...guess that says something.

link http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/coffee- ... resso.html
The Colonel