Sourness - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
psavoie

#11: Post by psavoie »

I bought coffee from terra a couple of times and quality did vary, something excellent, something not so great, since their is no date on their bag, we have no idea when they were roasted.
I buy my coffee online from Social coffee, they roast on monday and if i order on monday i will received my bags on tuesday. Free shipping on order above $25.
If you are looking for a local roaster, try Cafe st-Henri or just go to any third wave coffee shop, you'll find coffee from 49 th Parallel, Phil and Sebastian, Detour, they all sells bags of the coffee they serve.

CoruscatingCoffee

#12: Post by CoruscatingCoffee »

Before I start throwing valuable coffee in the trash, I like to consider the possibilities of the profile that the bean and roast has to offer. First, I really try to taste the brew. I slurp and spray it into my mouth like at a cupping or a wine tasting. I look for what the dominant flavor is and where in the tasting experience it dominates. A "sour" taste often comes at the beginning of the sip or at the finish. A "sour" espresso taste from a highly rated bean or roaster can point to the exotic fruit juice origins of the bean itself. It may be exactly what the roaster was trying to feature. I find that this is the case with the light roasts produced by Heart in Portland. In fact, tasting Heart has led me back to roasting my own beans lighter.

Make note of "sour" in the flavor profile and look for a complimentary flavor in another roast/bean. I enjoy many light roasts as pour overs. As espresso light roast can taste "sour" and lack the body for a complete drinking experience. I'll blend a light sharp roast with a flatter, darker roast profile. A bean with more "chocolate" notes is often highlighted at the nose of the mouth experience. When that is followed in a drink by the snap of "sour" at the finish I feel totally satisfied.

Of course, flavors appear at different places in the body of a blend depending on many factors. Sour, bitter, bright, acidic, sharp flavors are part of the bean and roast. Learn to place that "sour" flavor as a supplementary element rather than the dominate theme. Try a little mix and match. It is part of the coffee adventure.
"Make me one with everything" said the Zen Master to the hot dog vendor.

patou (original poster)

#13: Post by patou (original poster) »

Bonjour psavoie,

The first order that I got from Tera was very good. I bought their Indonesia Blue Tawar in a health foos store when I didn't have the time to go to Montreal at their store. The best coffee I ever tasted! Full, creamy and the black chocolate taste and a very pleasant acidity. So I ordered more from Tera and they roasted the bean for me so it was very freshly roasted. But the taste isn't as good.

It's disapointing thought, because I ordered some from "Brulerie des Monts" in St Sauveur and the same thing occured. A very good batch and the following one full of this sourness.

I will try the roasters that you mentioned. I like to order on line also, and will give a look at Social's. I have a Baratza Vario and don't like to use black roasted beans because there more greasy and worried they could create problems.

Which blend or coffee do you like at Social?

Thank you everyone here for your comments.

psavoie

#14: Post by psavoie »

Salut Patou,

I usually buy People's Daily and People Liberation, I enjoy the chocolate taste in my espresso, I keep away from the bright tangy taste such as Sidamo. But as they say taste are personal.

IMAWriter

#15: Post by IMAWriter »

A very simple solution might be to stir your espresso shot lightly before sipping. This way the bitters of the final flow of crema are blended through the entire shot. Having done the "testing of thirds" (where you sample each third of a shot separately), I now give my shots a little stir. As opposed to breaking down the crema as you might think, of ME it seems to make the entire shot creamier, especially the bottomless shots. I actually prefer shots through a spouted PF, but usually am too lazy for the cleaning process!

If you are till getting what you discern as "sour", I'd also for grins check to see if you're brewing hot enough. Sour from a Sumatra seems a bit odd, though, as there isn't a whole lot of acidity in a Sumatra to begin with.

patou (original poster)

#16: Post by patou (original poster) »

That' the problem IMAwriter! I liked Sumatra because when I first tasted it had no sourness, a rich flavor and the dark chocolate taste. The second batch was way too sour. I played with the grind, testing coarser and finer...nothing changed. Tried a shorter shot, same.

I always stir because I put a little honey in my espressos.

I'm beginning to think that i's the roasting. Those I got were all medium brown. Because in one order the Sumatra was awfully sour. I wrote to the sellers about this and the sent me another bag saying that they had encountered a problem with their Sumatra grain. That second bag was much better.

Salut psavoir, I have just placed an order at Social Coffee to taste their People's Daily and People Liberation. I will let you know how they came out.