Should we refrigerate our coffee beans?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Beezer

#1: Post by Beezer »

Interesting study on the effect of temperature on coffee. However, the article's claim that refrigerating pre-ground beans will help with flavor seems ridiculous, and certainly not supported by the study. Much of the study seems to confirm what we've been saying for years, namely that warm burrs affect extraction negatively, and that freezing or chilling our beans may help preserve flavor.

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Should-You ... s-41652257

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep24483/
Lock and load!

fishll

#2: Post by fishll »

The article on nature.com only confirms what we already know, that cold beans and an excellent grinder will produce a more uniform grind. They state that taste, flavor preference and how it relates to grind uniformity is a completely different topic and warrants its own study. Yes colder beans create more uniform particle size, though most methods of brew are designed to work with a range of particles. In my opinion consistency is more important than grind uniformity, something they Mythos strives to do.
On the topic of storage, I personally store whole beans in the freezer and have not experienced aging/flavor degradation. In my experience a bag of beans will come to room temperature, and will be ready to use, in about thirty minutes.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Peppersass »

The study specifically states that the most pronounced change in uniformity came at -19C, which is freezer temperature. The title of the article and its reference to "the 'fridge" indicates that the author didn't read the study carefully.

I completely agree that consistency is more important than particle distribution. We all have plenty of experience with the ill effects of inconsistency. We have no reliable data on the correlation between particle distribution and taste.

CwD

#4: Post by CwD »

I like to keep my beans predosed in the freezer and take them out the night before. That way every shot I pull has aged about the same amount rather than having to adjust for coffee a day older every day.

I tried grinding frozen a few times, the shots still come out great, but can't really do RDT with frozen beans so I end up with a lot more static, and thus retention. So I stick to thawing first.

Mrboots2u

#5: Post by Mrboots2u »

This is probably a stupid question but why cant you RDT with frozen beans ....

CwD

#6: Post by CwD »

The mist freezes on the beans. But maybe it could still work to reduce static, I don't imagine it'd hurt the grinder or anything.

Mrboots2u

#7: Post by Mrboots2u replying to CwD »

Ok - i RDT with from frozen beans get no static and ....

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

What's "RDT"?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

The Ross Droplet Technique, which is adding a small amount of water to the beans before grinding. Will work when single dosing, and does significantly decrease static. I use a small spray bottle.
Scott
LMWDP #248

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv replying to sweaner »

+1
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train