Shipping Coffee Internationally

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Buffy_ZA

#1: Post by Buffy_ZA »

Hey guys and girls,

Quick question, im in sunny South Africa and looking for roasters that will ship here from the US. I see so many awesome roasts and opinions but i can never try them :-(

Wesley
LMWDP #473

BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

Pretty much all roasters will ship internationally. The shipping will be very expensive and will probably take a while to arrive, so the beans may not be fresh.

Advertisement
Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

Usually not worth it. The cost of shipping is normally higher than the cost of the beans (unless you're shipping Panama Gesha) and arrival dates can be uncertain, as can extracting the beans from Customs. You're better off buying green beans (if SA permits their importation without reams of expensive paperwork) and roasting yourself.

There are some nice Zimbabwe coffees grown a few hundred k north of you.

Alan

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

Some of the Italian roasts preserve well during shipping and may be available locally. Two threads worth looking over:

Italian Espresso: Tasting and Comparing

2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused!

There are a few other HB members in SA if I recall correctly - you could ask a second question about good roasters in your area.

Cheers
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

bmb

#5: Post by bmb »

Here, in Brazil, it's much better to buy from Europe ...
First, vendors are more used to shipping internationally, and you'll probably will find your country alternative directly in the site. No need for email exchange.
Second, usually mail is cheaper, specially from GB.
Third, at least here, Customs are more forgiving (normally, if less than 1kg, they don't charge any taxes) and quicker with non American parcels ...

Normally it takes 15-20 days to deliver, however it make take longer round the holidays.

bongani

#6: Post by bongani »

There's plenty roasters in and around Johannesburg. Scratch the surface and you'll be amazed at the number and coffee varieties.

One thing you can be assured of, is that most of the coffee you would be getting may be from the same batches overseas guys rant and rave about. Also, it is way cheaper getting your coffee directly from a roaster than importing it yourself.

I pay about half the price of 'top coffeehouse' offerings. Unless you want to import your own green coffee, that may be the best route to take.