Scarlet City Roasters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Split from Vivace Espresso thread
TomC wrote:One of Schomer's main roasters from years past, and a veteran roaster in her own right who's trained several notable modern popular roasters is Jen St Hilaire, who's opening up a larger cafe featuring her coffee soon in the bay area. She roasts darker than most 3rd wave roasters, but I'm still excited to see how it all turns out.
I pulled the trigger on Scarlet City Roaster's Warp Drive espresso blend and their organic Ethiopia Amaro Natural, they should be arriving in a day or two. I'm interested to try out these coffees.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'm thinking they'll be a growing and welcome presence here in the bay.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I read Jen St Hilaire's bio on their site and she also was involved in Andrew Barnett's Ecco Caffe, and since I've really enjoyed Ecco Caffe's coffee (and by extension Linea Caffe's coffee) I'm pretty sure I'll like the Scarlet City roasts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

heavyduty

#4: Post by heavyduty »

yakster wrote:I pulled the trigger on Scarlet City Roaster's Warp Drive espresso blend and their organic Ethiopia Amaro Natural
Funny, I contemplated this exact order several days ago but ultimately ordered elsewhere. I remember reading that San Francisco Mag article on them that was linked here. I enjoyed an Amaro Gayo Natural from Olympia some months back, but was wishing it was roasted slightly darker for straight shots on my Silvia.

Please let us know what you think. How do they ship and how much? Could not find that info on their website.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

Its pretty good stuff, last time I had her espresso blend it was a few years ago. I would rate much closer to Vivace than anything else.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I ordered the coffee on the fifth, it was roasted and shipped priority mail on the seventh, and it was on my doorstep today, the eighth. The shipping charges were $6.50. The coffee smells good, too bad I had so many cups of coffee already today, the Yemen red cherry Haraaz that I picked up in Feb and roasted this week was just tasting too good today. I want to put a few days on the Warp Drive anyway before pulling it on the Factory.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I broke into the Scarlet City Roaster's organic Ethiopia Amaro Natural this morning at breakfast, deciding to break out my Vac Pot and brew up a pot for a change. Here's a shot of the coffee before grinding, it smells good and it's roasted on the darker side, you can see some oils on the surface.

I should have adjusted my grinder a bit coarser and also given the ground coffee more time to sit out and outgass as I had a hard time keeping the bloom inside the pot. I brewed 8 cups in my Yama for two minutes before pulling it from the heat.

Nothing wrong with the coffee, though. Once I'd given it a chance to cool so that I could properly taste it (vac pot coffee comes out very hot), it was sweet with round blueberry notes and a nice, silky mouthfeel. I enjoyed this coffee very much with some sourdough waffles.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

heavyduty

#8: Post by heavyduty »

Looks to be a little darker than I'd hoped (could be just the picture), but the good news is at least you're getting some origin (blueberry) notes.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Last night I pulled two shots for myself of the Scarlet City Warp Drive espresso roast on my Gaggia Factory. I also fixed Americanos for other members of my family, since I was firing up the machine and warming it up.

The roast is fairly dark, with visible oils, but it produces a very nice, thick crema, stone fruit sweetness, and a pleasant edge. It also had a long, satisfying aftertaste. I think if you like more traditional espresso with darker roasts such as Vivace or Linea Caffe you'll enjoy this coffee.

I'll need to pull some more shots of this to really see if I nailed it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I see from Scarlet City's Instagram Feed that they're opening their new espresso bar August 23rd, 2014 in Emeryville. From the pictures, it looks pretty nice, even though Emeryville's not in my back yard I'm tempted to make a trip up there or stop by if and when work takes me to the general vicinity.

Oh, and I'm about to grind up some of their Ethiopia Amaro right now on the Lido 2 to brew in my Impress mug so I can stay awake at my afternoon meeting.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272