Scarlet City Roasters - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Intrepid510

#11: Post by Intrepid510 »

yakster wrote:I see from Scarlet City's Instagram Feed that they're opening their new espresso bar August 23rd, 2014 in Emeryville. From the pictures, it looks pretty nice, even though Emeryville's not in my back yard I'm tempted to make a trip up there or stop by if and when work takes me to the general vicinity.

Oh, and I'm about to grind up some of their Ethiopia Amaro right now on the Lido 2 to brew in my Impress mug so I can stay awake at my afternoon meeting.
Made it out to the bar last weekend, and it's pretty nice... however, it's different from your usual 3rd wave haunt.

First it's a little off the beaten path, on a side street and in one of those nondescript shop locations under an apartment complex. So be sure to put it into your phone before you leave because even if you are familiar with the area you are just as likely to miss it at first. But parking is a breeze because it's not near anything so that's a plus.

Upon entering the location, it sure feels sci-fi circa the 90s. The bar is in the middle of the shop, lots of clear, black and red plastics throughout the space with a decent amount of seating, and yes sci-fi inspired pinball machines towards the back of the shop. Overall, not bad just feels/looks a little cheap and I started humming the Porlandia song in my head, "I dream of the '90s."

So I made it up to the front and ordered a cappa and espresso. I have had her espresso a few times at home because their coffee is sold at a grocer I go to in the area. I knew what to expect high comfort espresso.

The espresso didn't disappoint a very short shot probably less than an ounce, but not a trace of bitterness just sweet chocolate and deep fruit. Probably one of the better espresso's out I have had in the a long time.

The cappa I was not a fan. It was in a dry style lot's of foam all on purpose not to my liking and huge probably like 12 ounce judging by the cup. I can go for a dry style but keep it half that size imho.

Overall, not that bad but I dont think I will be making my way out there again.

Advertisement
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Thanks for the report, Nick. I'm still hoping to make it out there for a H-B meet-up.

Did you happen to notice the brew methods they offered for brewed coffee?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC »

yakster wrote:
Did you happen to notice the brew methods they offered for brewed coffee?
They don't. Espresso based drinks only.

But a beer tap/bar section is coming.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Intrepid510

#14: Post by Intrepid510 replying to TomC »

Yeah thanks for mentioning that Tom only espresso, and a beer tap would make it great if I lived above it. However the hours might need to be expanded past three. ;)

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

Thread bump.

I had to comment on how incredible this coffees aroma is (Warp Drive). I bought a bag roasted on the 10th, delivered yesterday on the 11th and I'm practically salivating to get it in the grinder and thru the Linea in the next few days. I've got a call into Jen the owner right now, because I wasn't sure what they're pulling their shots at temp wise, but I sorta assumed it would be lower than what I normally do. I'll update this thread when I find out. I should be able to get very similar results,having the same water, same machine and an equally large conical grinder.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

vangrrl

#16: Post by vangrrl »

Glad to see Scarlet City is doing well and has been mentioned on HB ... it's a great line up of coffees. I pick up their Warp Drive and the decaf variety every time I am in SF. Love them both!

JmanEspresso

#17: Post by JmanEspresso »

Recieved my order from these wonderful people the other day, coffee Roasted on the 19th. Picked up both espresso blends, plus the Guat Santa Isabel.

I am VERY impressed with the Espresso blends. They are both, on freakin point. This is the kind of espresso I LOVE. Rich, heavy bodied, mouth coating espresso that is covered in chocolates, with perhaps some accents of fruit. With lineage from both Vivace and the old Ecco Cafe, Im not surprised I love both blends. The Warp Drive is more interesting for a straight shot, seems to be some hints of apricot in there. Nice in milk too. The Lightspeed is a chocolate explosion, really excellent, and as they suggest, its wonderful as a Machiatto. Even with a littttttle more punch to this blend, the shots themselves are excellent. Niether blend is as aggressive as Vivace' Dolce, but both are in the same ballpark as far as richness and body go. I asked for general brew parameters, they suggested 20gram dose at 203F, and I simply upped that too 21grams at 203F. La Marzocco traditional triple basket.. Pulling on the ristretto side..if I weighed the output I would guess it would be something like 27-30grams out. But I tend to not weigh the output unless I can't get there with my tongue.

IF you like Dolce, if you were a fan of any of the blends that came from Ecco Cafe, this is coffee right up your alley.

The Guat Santa Isabel is equally good. Roasted a bit lighter than the blends, but not uber light. First cup I made through the inverted Aeropress, and the flavor of brown sugar was so prevalent, you would of thought I added brown sugar to the cup myself.

Scarlet City Roasters knows what they're doing with coffee. This is some of the best coffee Ive had as of late. They'll stay on my order rotation big time.