Redbird Sweet Blue

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cmin

#1: Post by cmin »

Been going through this for like 2 weeks or so. Yummmmm is all I can say, the hype is real lol. I've settled on dialing in at 18.5g pulling about 26g at 200 degrees. Straight shot is delicious, theres that obvious deep chocolate note like most Brazils but different in a way, not sure how to explain it (doesn't taste like your run of the mill Brazil), and then that fruity kinda spice note i've seen others mention and it comes through clearly. Even in milk its awesome, we make iced drinks every day. Just a double, with milk and ice and a tiny amount (I mean tiny lol) of Jordans skinny caramel or hazelnut syrup for wifey. Awesome drink, so smooth tasting.

F1

#2: Post by F1 »

I am placing a order today for this. How many days post roast should I wait? How does it compare to the Jaguar blend?

cmin (original poster)

#3: Post by cmin (original poster) replying to F1 »

Never had Blue Jag. I was finishing up another coffee so I let it rest I think 6 days before using and freezing rest in batches.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Sweet Blue is one of the main ingredients of the Blue Jaguar blend. The Sweet Blue is all about chocolate with a few other flavors thrown in & the Blue Jaguar expands the flavor range a bit.
LMWDP 267

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I've been pulling a lot of Sweet Blue lately. However, mine is from idrinkcoffee so I don't know if there's a difference between Red Bird's roast.

All I know is it's a great straight shot. I know what you mean about being different than most Brazilians. It has a more complex taste profile in my opinion. Definitely get the "spicy chocolate bar" that the roaster describes.

I know Jeff recommends resting his blends at least 5 days, with peak hitting around the 7 to 10 day mark. That's what he told me with respect to his Red Bird blend and Blue Jaguar. But I haven't ordered Sweet Blue from him.

I usually wait about 4 days to start pulling Sweet Blue.

As for what I've been pulling, I dose 18g to 18.5g in an 18g VST basket. I aim anywhere from 25g to about 32g in the cup, depending on my mood. I have an HX, so I aim for 200F. Basically it tastes great in the ristretto range, and in the normale range. It's pretty versatile and has such good body and robust flavour, that it's good no matter how you pull it.

I rarely make milk drinks, but I'm sure the chocolate will shine through for people in capps etc.

cmin (original poster)

#6: Post by cmin (original poster) »

Yeah the more I have it, the more I like it, this is pry my favorite overall S.O. I've had so far, whether straight or in milk.
F1 wrote:I am placing a order today for this. How many days post roast should I wait? How does it compare to the Jaguar blend?
Let us know how you like it

apple2k

#7: Post by apple2k »

i've had a lot of RB's Blue Jaguar and love it, amazing coffee

RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE »

cmin wrote:Been going through this for like 2 weeks or so. Yummmmm is all I can say, the hype is real lol. I've settled on dialing in at 18.5g pulling about 26g at 200 degrees. Straight shot is delicious, theres that obvious deep chocolate note like most Brazils but different in a way, not sure how to explain it (doesn't taste like your run of the mill Brazil), and then that fruity kinda spice note i've seen others mention and it comes through clearly. Even in milk its awesome, we make iced drinks every day. Just a double, with milk and ice and a tiny amount (I mean tiny lol) of Jordans skinny caramel or hazelnut syrup for wifey. Awesome drink, so smooth tasting.

CMIN, are you doing this in your stock basket? Or using the HQ 21g basket?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

cmin (original poster)

#9: Post by cmin (original poster) »

RyanJE wrote:CMIN, are you doing this in your stock basket? Or using the HQ 21g basket?
HQ basket

edit - just made another shot :twisted: . Yeah I recommend the HQ baskets, their not only much cheaper then others, but their also quality made and not as finicky as other baskets, and its larger then the stock CC1 double which was already pretty large for a stock machine basket. But I know 18.5g probably wouldn't have worked in the stock one and would have really recessed into the screen and surrounding edge when expanding. I have the ridgeless 21, it used to be called the 18g double or something like that. The other 21 is a triple and assuming larger basket (don't have it and not really into triple shots).

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

The past few days I've been mixing the Sweet Blue 50/50 with the Paradise Nuevo. The combination produces a very nice fudge brownie shot. 3 Days ago I roasted some of the Ethiopia Konga Yirgacheffe Mike distributed a while back. Makes a great shot by itself but it will be interesting to see how/if it works with the Sweet Blue.
LMWDP 267