Populace Coffee - Espresso Clutch recommended parameters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jasonmolinari

#1: Post by jasonmolinari »

I'm about 1/2 way into my 1kg bag of populace coffee Espresso Clutch and i can't get much other than super bright shots. Description on the web page show "Dark Chocolate, Dried Cherry, Melons, Sugar Cane"...i get none of those sweeter darker flavors.

I've tried doses from 14g to 19g (recommended) and brew ratios from 1:1 to 1:2 (recommended) at temperatures from 195 to 205. Nothing. All sour acidic stuff. The roast looks pretty light.
Coffee was vac and deep frozen about 5 days after roast. Doesn't seem to vary much as it ages once i bring it out of freezer.

Anyone have any recommended parameters for this coffee?

TheJavaCup77

#2: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Freezing may cause chemical reactions/conversions that may alter flavor profile...

I don't freeze my coffee....
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

Advertisement
JavaRanger

#3: Post by JavaRanger »

I placed my first order with Populace for a kilo of Clutch on Sunday and it arrived on Thursday. I let the beans rest until Saturday. Prior to Clutch I was pulling Redbird Espresso. It took me a bit of playing around to pull something to my liking.

Even though the Clutch isn't as dark as Redbird I had to adjust more Forte grinder to a finer setting. I adjust from L down to C, very surprising and not fully sure I understand this. I am dosing 21.1g in a 18g basket. At a temperature of 199 on the PID of of my Profitec Pro 700 I am pulling 34-37 liquid grams in about 28 seconds using the built in shot timer.

I got a fairly good result with the above parameters.

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#4: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

javacup, freezing isn't the issue. I went through 1/2lb before any freezing, and additionally, people with far better palates than I have done blind studies showing freezing has little to no effect.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#5: Post by cimarronEric »

JavaRanger wrote:Even though the Clutch isn't as dark as Redbird I had to adjust more Forte grinder to a finer setting. I adjust from L down to C, very surprising and not fully sure I understand this.
It makes sense that you'd have to go finer with a less developed roast.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

I pull it at 200.1 degrees, 19.5 grams in an 18 gram VST, 21 grams out. If you are getting brightness, you are probably pulling it too long. Lacking body - needs more rest. 5 days is on the early side for this blend. Just my $.02.

As has already been mentioned, lighter roasts require a finer grind.
Merle

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#7: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

Thanks uscfroadie.
I'm still getting brightness at 203-205...with longer than 5 days rest on a 1:1 pull at 19g.

Wondering if i got an underdeveloped roast batch. Who knows.

Advertisement
JavaRanger

#8: Post by JavaRanger »

cimarronEric wrote:It makes sense that you'd have to go finer with a less developed roast.
Sorry I wasn't very clear, my suprise was more with the grinder. I am on step C, I only have two left. I have a feeling I might need to adjust down more as the coffee ages.

Wondering if indeed to calibrate my grinder.