Ordered Intelligentsia Blackcat and Honey Badger - does it need to rest?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
EABonney

#1: Post by EABonney »

So I ordered some Blackcat and Honey Badger and it will arrive today. I was wondering if it needs to rest at all before I use it? I know that when I roast my own beans that I need to let it rest for 3-4 days before it really is ready to use. I am guessing that they roast the coffee and then ship it the same day, so that would make me think it might need a day or two more before it really is at optimal performance.

So is that the case?

Thanks,
-Eric

BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

The few times I have ordered black cat I just starting using it right when I got it, which was about 3 days post roast. I put the beans in small mason jars right away. The first few days I was able to get really sweet shots, but by day 5 I was unable to pull a decent shot. I, like many people on this forum, have found black cat to be hit or miss.

EABonney (original poster)

#3: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

Good to know and thanks for the response. I just don't have the time with work so busy to do any roasting and top it off that it has been so cold lately here anyways. I will use the Black Cat first and freeze the Honey Badger then.

UltramaticOrange

#4: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Recently got a bag of Honey Badger and for me, it was best somewhere around the last part of week 2.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

vze26m98

#5: Post by vze26m98 replying to UltramaticOrange »

Interesting. I got a bag around Christmas and felt that its later life was preferable as well...

Best, C.

EABonney (original poster)

#6: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

So did you guys freeze it or did you just put it in a jar? I usually go through about a 1lb a week so it would be around a week or so before I get to the Honey Badger.