Opinions on Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Halo Bariti...

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
crispie

#1: Post by crispie »

I'm wondering if there's any difference between RedRooster and other roasters such as BlackTulip or others with Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Halo-Bariti?

Or is this the same bean for all roasters?

All roaster's descriptions are of the same co-op, same region, so I'm assuming that means they're the same bean.

But, there are differences in reported taste notes.

RedRooster was reviewed as bourbon\whisky blueberry with sandlewood, while the others are all the same: blueberries with toasted marshmallow-like creaminess. All of them said it was not bright and not earthy. That's a plus for espresso.

Is the bourbon note that similar to toasted marshmallow? I understand different roasts may affect taste, too. Or, maybe the reviews were with different brew types (pour over vs espresso)?

I know there's some people who have tried this bean, so please reply with your experienced taste of this bean.

Ellejaycafe

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I had a lot of last years crop and it was one of my favorite single origin espressos. One thing to always remember about taste descriptors is that they are always subjective and based on roast style.

Last years crop was straight blueberries and cream with a milk chocolate finish, just looked at my notes. We roasted this medium/light for use as espresso. We had to do a 1:2.5 ratio to get the brightness toned down but was super creamy and very very blueberry like. I have not had this years crop yet.

EDIT: looking at our importers options I don't see the halo, and this years crop shouldn't be available anyway; so I'm guessing you are getting last years crop.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement
crispie (original poster)

#3: Post by crispie (original poster) »

Well, I finally got to try some from BlackTulip.

18.5 grams in, 35 g out, 202*F start declining temp, 30 second shot pull from brew switch on, first drop at 6 seconds.

First of all it was bright, which I was not exactly expecting, and had a lot of complexity and variety of notes in both aroma and taste that I haven't seen labeled anywhere.

The dry grind aroma did have blueberry hint as well as a sort of black licorice\sweet spice.

The shot aroma was jasmine with subtle saffron, black licorice, and other background spices, rather distinct and swirling released some berry like smells, but not particularly blueberry.
The taste had a first bright floral start, blossom like acidity, with multiple fruity flavors. I guess I would say berries, but not particularly blueberry. Sweet, but not a lingering sweetness. The finish, still fruity, did have some peachiness. There was some kind of bourbon\whisky with sweet spice while exhaling the finish. No bitterness, and didn't really have chocolate note, almost not coffee.

This is a pleasant bean, with changing flavors as the shot cools, and throughout the time in mouth. It's a juicy, thinner mouthfeel, like other ethiopians from the general region.
I'll try a little warmer start temp and pull a little longer to see if the blueberries will come out more.