On a quest to purchase 5LB bags of Counter Culture!

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Does anyone know of a way to purchase 5lb bags of Big Trouble? Or other coffees from Counter Culture!? I'm planning on ordering some RedBird, but I slightly prefer Big Trouble, and before I make a commit I'd like to know if there is a way for consumers to get a 5 pounder without making some wholesale commitment. I've sent an email to "Joyride Coffee Distributors", but I want to flesh out any other options as well. Buying 12oz bags every 4 days has become very expensive, and annoying. Thanks! :)

Tony_Lotts

#2: Post by Tony_Lotts »

Why not ask Counter Culture directly?

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

If I were inclined to purchase 5 lbs of bean X from anyone, I would do my best to get them directly from the roaster's cooling tray and, somehow, pack those beans into a cooler filled with dry ice for the trip home.

Freezing freshly roasted beans is best. Freezing them at a low temperature, like -20 F significantly retards the inherent degradation.

As an aside, I HAVE BEEN successful in buying freshly roasted beans from my local Costco in ~ 2.5 lb bags and sticking them in a cooler chest for the trip home. When home, I divide this up into 0.50 lb Rubbermaid containers and stick them into the freezer. This has worked well, HOWEVER, lately I have graduated to beans from local roasters available from Whole Foods.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#4: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to erics »

Yeah, Earth Fare here usually has 12oz bags of big trouble fairly fresh.. but it's 10 miles away and I go through 12oz in 3-5 days. Whole foods is coming soon though, which I am excited about! I suppose I'll contact Counter Culture, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

I am sure if you just email them they would be more than happy to sell you a 5 pound bag. Just ask.
Dave Stephens

#6: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

Got a response today, I was told they don't sell 5LB bags, and like any company would - they urged me towards their subscription plan, albeit nicely. When I looked at the price it would be my jaw dropped. $66 every two weeks to end up with 5lbs a month!? That's more than I am willing to pay, I think I'd be more happy with a 5lb bag of Red Bird's Blue Jaguar blend for half the price at the end of the day. I asked if they had any plans to start selling bags in 5lb quantities, I got a frank "no" essentially. That's just business though, I suppose It can be my every now and then treat.

Tony_Lotts

#7: Post by Tony_Lotts »

FWIW, Intelligentsia sells 5 lb bags. While I think CC kills it with their single origins, I've always preferred Intelly Black Cat Classic over CC Big Trouble/Toscano, or even Hologram/Rustico.

#8: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to Tony_Lotts »

They do and I've considered them, I have tried Black Cat Classic and Organic. I enjoyed them both, but not to the extent that I would pay $80 for 5lbs, then again I'm sure CC would charge a similar price for Big Trouble. It would be cool if Stumptown offered a 5lb option as well, I loved hairbender. I think I'm pretty content with Blue Jaguar, when I tried both it and Redbird's espresso back in July (I've ordered there espresso since though), I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I prefer Blue Jaguar's slightly lighter roast (I think I remember it being a tad less dark.. I want to say it's Full City and their Espresso is Italian).

Bodka Coffee

#9: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I wonder why they won't sell 5 lb bags? Any ideas?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

Check out the roasters on http://www.gocoffeego.com Many of the coffees are offered with 2lb or 5lb options. Too bad about Counter Culture as I have no interest in buying 12 oz bags either. If they had a 2lb option I'd give them some business.
LMWDP 267