Nominees for "Favorite Espresso Blends 2012" review - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.

Which roasters would you like to see reviewed in 2012?

Barismo
4%
Barrington Coffee
2%
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters
1%
Caffe D'arte
1%
Cafe Grumpy
3%
Coava Coffee Roasters
3%
Compass Coffee
3%
Counter Culture Coffee
8%
Cuvee Coffee
2%
Dogwood Coffee
1%
Ecco Caffe
2%
Espresso Vivace
3%
Evocation Coffee
1%
Handsome Coffee Roasters
5%
Heart Roasters
3%
Intelligentsia Coffee
5%
Kifu Coffee Roasters
2%
Klatch Roasting
7%
MadCap Coffee Company
3%
Metropolis Coffee
7%
Muddy Dog Coffee
1%
Northbound Coffee
1%
Novo Coffee
1%
Paradise Roasters
2%
Phil & Sebastian Coffee Roasters
2%
PT's Coffee
2%
Reunion Island Coffee
1%
Seattle Coffee Works
2%
Social Coffee & Tea
3%
Sweet Maria's
6%
Velton's Coffee
4%
Verve Coffee Roasters
4%
Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
3%
Vivace - Dolce
1%

Total votes: 578

da gino

#31: Post by da gino »

This makes sense to me. The object of these reviews is (at least in my mind) to draw attention to excellent coffees and to help people pull better shots with those coffees by explaining how the reviewers liked it best.

It is important to remember that coffee tastes are personal and it should be expected that some people will love a given coffee and others will not like it and that does not mean it is good or bad. Given that publishing negative reviews of coffee doesn't make much sense.

This is especially true since the cost of trying a bad coffee is so low to the consumer. If I buy a high end dishwasher and it is a lemon that is a major problem, but if I buy a bag of high end beans for a dollar or so an ounce and they are not to my taste I am only out a few dollars and I can move on, so it is not like these reviews need to warn people off of potential mistakes.

gbastiani

#32: Post by gbastiani »

Even though I get my coffee from Counter Culture I also like the coffee from out on the Left coast. Deep Cello out of Portland, Ore. and another I thinking of trying is Red Bird
Gary

one lump or two?

#33: Post by one lump or two? »

I would be interested in a review from one of these two roasters:

Barismo. I find the informative and opinionated blog entries relating to coffees, roasting and brewing very entertaining. I like that they list espresso ingredients and ratios, which I think could lead to further discussion if reviewed.

Velton's Coffee: I just had an espresso of the Mexico Nayarita that was very enjoyable and balanced. I think the Bonsai blend is great, but has always struck me as a blend that is hiding a lot of interesting options if only my skills were better. Finally, I had the pleasure of meeting him once. He is very friendly and seems to love roasting coffee.
wabi sabi - nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect

Eastsideloco

#34: Post by Eastsideloco »

HB wrote:It would be helpful if those posting nominations included a few sentences explaining why they're nominating a roaster, especially if they're "not well known but deserving roasters".

What about "Reserva" from Cuvée?

While it's an experiment of sorts, they plan to use it as their competition coffee this year. The coffee comes from a single producer in El Salvador, but is a blend of washed, pulp natural and natural processed coffees. The intent is to layer the characteristics unique to the different processing methods, much like different grape varietals from a single farm might be blended by a vintner. In this case, the processed coffee beans get blended and patio dried at origin to even out the moisture content. Since the moisture content is consistent, the blended coffee can be roasted together.

Here's more info:

http://cuveecoffee.com.s132756.gridserv ... page_id=56

coffeestork

#35: Post by coffeestork »

Glad to hear a few Canadians providing some Canadian content suggestions. I surprised I didn't see any European content suggestions like Square Mile, Coffee Collective, and Tim Wendelboe. I realize shipping cost is usually prohibitive to make this a regular for most home baristas, but always nice to have some more good recommendations for splurges.

dman777

#36: Post by dman777 »

Eastsideloco wrote:What about "Reserva" from Cuvée?

While it's an experiment of sorts, they plan to use it as their competition coffee this year. The coffee comes from a single producer in El Salvador, but is a blend of washed, pulp natural and natural processed coffees. The intent is to layer the characteristics unique to the different processing methods, much like different grape varietals from a single farm might be blended by a vintner. In this case, the processed coffee beans get blended and patio dried at origin to even out the moisture content. Since the moisture content is consistent, the blended coffee can be roasted together.

Here's more info:

http://cuveecoffee.com.s132756.gridserv ... page_id=56

I second this....I would like to see this roaster as part of the competition. Why? Well, they are local for one thing....and so I am biased. Also, they are a fine roaster....they take pride in their coffee and it's a passion for them, they are a high tier roaster. I have only tried their main blend Mezzanotte. It's served in a few coffee shops here in Austin. I like the roast flavour it has which is well balanced, with a strong citrus after taste that follows. At least that is my novice description of it.

I have to say though...Paradise Roasters are still my favorite so far.

Stereo Heathen

#37: Post by Stereo Heathen »

I know I'm new here (and they're fairly new to the scene), but I have to nominate my neighborhood roastery/cafe Seattle Coffee Works.

Admittedly, I only know and love their rotating single origins and "Seattle Space" blend, not the other two blends designed for espresso, but they do a lot of damn good stuff-- and on one roaster, in the back of a few hundred square foot space downtown. They've only been around for about six years, and roasting for four, but in my mind they've established themselves as the only good coffee in downtown Seattle.
And they are really good.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#38: Post by HB (original poster) »

I've updated the first post with the member nominations. A lot of west coast roasters! Any favorite roasters in the central/east? Another day or two for nominations, then this thread will become a poll.
Dan Kehn

Intrepid510

#39: Post by Intrepid510 »

I have question about the process of your reviews, do you take like the top x number of roasters and then just report back with the ones that the majority of reviewers enjoyed? Or is it more like a buyers advice thread where sure there are recommendations but at the end of the day it's the choice of the reviewers, which coffees get picked up for review?

HB (original poster)
Admin

#40: Post by HB (original poster) »

In years past, the membership voted on specific espresso blends and we reviewed them in (approximately) order of popularity. This time around, the membership will vote on a list of roasters and the "top n" will be reviewed in random order (based on years past, n = 8 to 12 roasters, but we'll see how it goes). The reviewers will not be told in advance which coffee is being reviewed, i.e., they will receive the coffee in a plain bag. Another twist this year is the inclusion of two guest reviewers from the membership.
Dan Kehn