Ninety Plus Nekisse and Lotus- Wow!

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Having my second Chemex in 12 hours, I am loving my two Ninety Plus coffees! My local roaster, Blooom Coffee House, roasted up 8 different Ninety Plus beans for a tasting event. They were all excellent, I brought home a bag of Nekisse N2 (Ethiopia L12) and a bag of Lotus SK (Geisha Varietal Panama - Tray 11) from the Ninety Plus Gesha Estates.

These two coffees are blowing my mind! The Nekisse first hit my tongue and I had a little taste of peppermint, then truffle oil, then berries and berries and more fruit. This morning the Lotus was like flower blossoms with cinnamon. The Lotus, now cooled, has notes of chocolate covered cherries with a hint of spice.

I have been on an all espresso bender for the last few months, but these beans are keeping the Chemex out for a the next few days. Highly recommend trying these if you get the chance. I just wish I could afford more to try pulling some Lotus espresso shots on the Strega, but my bean budget is now blown. :D
LMWDP #371

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Aside from the truffle oil, I found nearly all that in my small bit of the same Nekisse. It's really a phenomenal coffee, I wish I had more of it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

iginfect

#3: Post by iginfect »

I bought 5lbs Nekisse from GCBC and its my a.m. vac pot, on my 2nd 1/2 lb. It'll be all I drink in a.m. until its gone in 2 months. Also don't find truffle oil but agree on flavor.

Marvin

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

I have been grinding these in the Lido and making in the Chemex. I feel when I grind finer I am getting more of the spicy notes and truffle oil taste from the Nekisse, when I grind coarser I get a sweeter less complex flavor, but still amazing.

I paid $50 USD for 100g of the Lotus roasted, and $20USD for 200g of the Nekisse, roasted. This is the top end of my coffee bean budget, but as a Christmas treat I would do it again.

I would be be nervous to buy these green to roast, I would be afraid I would ruin them!

Jealous of your 5lbs! :D
LMWDP #371

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Tasting a new Ninety Plus today, Lycello, a washed coffee. This is a lovely coffee, more mild than the Lotus I think, but floral and fruity, perfume like aroma. When cool it is very juicy, and I like it more as it gets cold than when it is hot. These guys are really producing some amazing beans.

LMWDP #371

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

I liked that Lycello, too--tried Ceremony's version recently. Splurge away!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias