Ninety Plus 2014 - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
[creative nickname]

#11: Post by [creative nickname] »

Chert wrote:(Nekisse N2 is $1600/16 oz roasted according to a review on Coffeereview).
:shock:
LMWDP #435

Shenrei

#12: Post by Shenrei »

Looks like NT $1600 = $51.79 US dollars
- Tim

[creative nickname]

#13: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's still a lot, but I rescind my shocked expression.
LMWDP #435

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Chert wrote:I would like to know the origins. Please could you edit your original post, eg Nekisse, Sidama, Ethiopia if you know those origins. The bags only specify the Panama Gesha Estates on those two bags.
I should have added the origins at the initial post, I was just too happy getting started with the brewing, and I have had these a few times so I forget that the names do not state origin. The Panama Geshas are from their own farm in Panama, and they have developed a solar drying method that helps to dry the beans in the humid Panama conditions, the H2 designation. Some are W, washed, others are N natural. You can see the Ethiopians have names like Nekisse, Tchembe, Hachira. Their natural profiles are to me the most astonshing, with amazing complexity but still very clean and no overly fermented or funky notes. The washed coffees are supremely clean and have light bodies and flavors of fruits and chocolates.

Ninety Plus has become BIG here (here being the Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, China market) with people getting on lists and waiting to get even small bags from local roaster. I am hoping I can get a very small sample of the supposedly extraordinary Perci Red, a few pounds are somewhere here in the city under lock and key. There is a an intense focus on coffee beans in this market that are seen as THE BEST, or the top available.

I am in no way linked to or associated with Ninety Plus or any importer or roaster selling Ninety Plus, just a coffee nut that spends too much money on coffee. :D

I got these in a set, so the pricing is averaged out to about $15.00 USD per 50 gram bag, so say about $120.00 USD for 400 grams of roasted coffee.

It is very expensive. :shock:

Silivia N2 - Silla Del Pando, Volcan, Panama
Nekisse N2 Ethiopia, Sidamo
Perci N2 Silla Del Pando, Volcan, Panama.
Lycello W2 Silla Del Pando, Volcan, Panama.
Juliette H2 Silla Del Pando, Volcan, Panama.
Lotus H2 Silla Del Pando, Volcan, Panama.
Tchembe N2 Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe
Hachira N2, Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe
LMWDP #371

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:I am in no way linked to or associated with Ninety Plus or any importer or roaster selling Ninety Plus, just a coffee nut that spends too much money on coffee. :D
Jeremy, I doubt any long-term members here are concerned about that. Thank you for starting this very interesting thread.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) replying to drgary »

Thanks Gary, I was hesitant to list prices before as it might seem like I am running a long advertisement for someone selling these. The funny thing is I know the roaster is not making a lot by reselling these, as they greens are so expensive there is little markup margin room. I appreciate that they go through the expense and take the risk in handling the beans, one bad roasting batch and you dump a lot of money in the bin!
LMWDP #371

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

Yes, Jeremy, thanks for the information and sharing your experience. Great that you get to try small amounts of so many. I'd be pleased to find 100 grams more or less for sale of a nice one. It'd be nice to try a gesha again. I'm satisfied with the fabulous flavors of Ethiopian beans I've been fortunate enough to enjoy so those don't appeal as much.
LMWDP #198

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Back to the coffee, and the one I was saving, the most extraordinary Sillvia!

This natural Panama Gesha is what I imagine a near perfect brew coffee tastes like. Concentrated dried tropical fruits, floral, dark chocolate, silky smooth body, dry fragrances and wet aroma are both screaming out of the grinder and cup.

This coffee has only one negative side, it is gone too fast and the next cup you drink will seem like a pale comparison.

LMWDP #371

kwantfm

#19: Post by kwantfm »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:Their natural profiles are to me the most astonshing, with amazing complexity but still very clean and no overly fermented or funky notes.
I've roasted quite a few of the N2 profiles - Tchembe, Hachira and Nekisse. I agree that the most interesting characteristic I get from this is how clean these natural process beans are. They're also invariably very sweet beans. I enjoy the roasted results a great deal, but they're not for those seeking funky characteristics.

BTW, for those wanting to get an indication of green and roasted prices in Australia, you can check out the Think Tank Coffee website.

T
LMWDP #602

Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) replying to kwantfm »

I imagine roasting these is a challenge, I have tasted them in multiple roast levels and like them from as light as possible up to a full city, the darkest I have tried. It is also very hard to test roast profiles as they are too expensive to run a lot of test roast batches. I really would like to try some N2 Nekisse as an SOE, I think it would be an amazing espresso.
LMWDP #371