My thoughts on Black Cat Classic Espresso - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
FrankieC63 (original poster)

#21: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

SO.....

Since I have about 4 or 5 oz. of beans left, I decided to test out the Black Cat Classic one last time and (if anything at all) gain a valuable learning experience. The rest will be used for drip coffee.

I actually got a decent cup with this espresso today and it was very pleasantly flavored.

A few things I though were worth noting. One was that this blend has to be of very high or almost completely arabica content. The second is that it isn't forgiving in any aspects. The grind is the most finicky area I found.

I don't like this type of coffee as it is extremely acidic and tart, and lacking body (to me at least).

portamento

#22: Post by portamento »

I'm sure it's been posted before, but Conan's visit to Intelligentsia seems appropriate here. :wink:

brianl

#23: Post by brianl »

FrankieC63 wrote:SO...
I don't like this type of coffee as it is extremely acidic and tart, and lacking body (to me at least).
I used to love the chocolate comfort blends but now I drink almost exclusively single origin (a lot of which being acidic and tart). You'll be surprised how your tastes will change. I did a subscription with Tonx, back when it started, and was exposed to a little bit of everything. I think this was good to get a taste for a little bit of everything.

And I did love that Conan episode, and basically everything with Jordan, haha.

JmanEspresso

#24: Post by JmanEspresso »

Ahh yes, the first and last time Conan was invited to Intelligentsia.

Her face mirrored mine when the chocolate chip cookie creamer came out on the cupping table. Generally though, I like Conans show.

cmin

#25: Post by cmin »

portamento wrote:I'm sure it's been posted before, but Conan's visit to Intelligentsia seems appropriate here. :wink:
hilarious lol

#26: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

I actually had a friend post this on my Facebook wall a few days ago. I had a good chuckle lol.

I've contacted Intelligentsia and expressed my dissatisfaction and they've agreed to send me another bag of coffee free of charge. I'm going to give it another try. I also told them they could send the analog or organic if they think I will like it more, as I wasn't impressed with the classic.

Coffee is largely subjective as far as taste goes, however I'm hoping this batch may be better. We shall see.

If anything, Intelligentsia has been extremely accomodating and I give them credit for trying to satisfy their customers.

caldwa

#27: Post by caldwa »

FrankieC63 wrote: I've contacted Intelligentsia and expressed my dissatisfaction and they've agreed to send me another bag of coffee free of charge. I'm going to give it another try. I also told them they could send the analog or organic if they think I will like it more, as I wasn't impressed with the classic.

Coffee is largely subjective as far as taste goes, however I'm hoping this batch may be better. We shall see.

If anything, Intelligentsia has been extremely accomodating and I give them credit for trying to satisfy their customers.
I went back to my notes from drinking Black Cat around a month ago, and this is what I got: Caramel, chocolate, grape. I also remember being surprised that it was 1) not as bright as I remembered and 2) better than I remembered.

So two things:

1) It's possible that you are doing too long of a cooling flush for this coffee. Other HX users could chime in, but I was brewing at 201F and getting nice results. Sour shots could be indicative of a too low brew temp.

2) Maybe you don't like lighter roaster, high elevation espresso blends? That's fine if you don't - I don't think it's a problem with the coffee bean quality, I think it's an issue of preference. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but you're not going to get an italian-style espresso out of Black Cat. It's just not that type of coffee. You'd be better off trying Black Cat Analog, or trying something from a different roaster.

#28: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

UPDATE: Through conversation with one of the customer service personnel at Intelligentsia, I was able to get a bag of Black Cat Analog given to me gratis. I had sent an email outlining my dissatisfaction. I am going to start a new thread, so please have a look.

sqroot3

#29: Post by sqroot3 »

i read through this thread and the analog one with interest. black cat was one of the first shots (in venice, ca) that got me hooked on espresso, and i still enjoy it. when i last had it at the bar, the mouthfeel was great and it was balanced. i haven't tried any since upgrading to my k10. i need to try the analog...

Balthazar_B

#30: Post by Balthazar_B »

JmanEspresso wrote: Ideally Id like to keep the rich chocolate caramel, and follow it up with some sweet red berries and maybe a hint of spice. My favorite natural Ethiopians can do this all on their own, but im just as happy if a natural E needs to be blended against a chocolatey Brazil to achieve what I personally consider, the ideal espresso flavor profile. Call me a traditionalist, or maybe I just havent had a well pulled shot, but Id much rather that Chocolate/Caramel/Berries and Spice shot, opposed to the hot tart cranberry juice and citric acid dusted grapefruit rind "W3OJ" espresso that is all the rage today. And believe me, I WANT it to be that I just havent had an excellent W3OJ shot, and everything Ive made myself or gone out to get has been bad.. I will proudly wear double egg on my face if thats the case.
I'd recommend you try Mountain Air Roasting's Black Balsam. Here's its formulation according to the roaster:
Black Balsam: 66% El Paraiso, 33% Aricha (Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia), (American Espresso and Heirloom Espresso) separately taken to City+ in 13 minutes.Link: http://mtnairroasting.com/product/black-balsam/.

I think it definitely has the flavor notes you enjoy, and I'll be trying it again in comparison with the SquarePeg, which I've not yet tasted. The first time around with Black Balsam, I found it pleasant but not compelling, but I have to admit I don't think I had it dialed in quite right. Others rave about it to the point that I want to explore it some more.
- John

LMWDP # 577