My thoughts on Black Cat Analog Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
FrankieC63

#1: Post by FrankieC63 »

Hello to all,

I have had a very interesting and positive experience with Intelligentsia and their customer service department, despite what I would call a disappointment on my initial experience with their Classic roast of espresso.

After e-mailing them to voice my dissatisfaction with the Black Cat Classic Espresso, I received a reply after 1 business day. Their reply was very empathetic towards my concerns and at the same time I was very careful not to offend anyone in the process of expressing my opinion. After a few e-mails, they offered to send me another bag of espresso to try and hopefully improve my thoughts of their quality. I suggested to them in these e-mails that if they thought I would enjoy the analog or organic blend more than the classic, they could send me that. Sure enough, I got an email from UPS saying a package was on its way.

It took 2 days to get to me which is not unreasonable at all. I opened the package and found a 12 ounce bag of their Analog Espresso which was a positive feeling for me, since I'm sure the classic would have yielded the same results as previous.

After pulling 3 shots, and not even having to attempt to dial in my grind, I was extremely satisfied compared to my first experience.

Firstly, the crema on the analog is much more dark and persistent. The coffee finished in 25 seconds and a friend of mine as well as myself both tried the coffee. The both of us agreed that the analog was an excellent coffee. It was described to have a chocolate flavor profile and I agree. I was actually able to really enjoy this espresso and it has changed my opinion of Intelligentsia. This roast seems much darker than the previous.

I know a lot of people have likened the analog to the earlier days of the classic roast. I would imagine that even though they say it isn't the same as it once was, this must be closer to what the original roast was like.

Overall, I am very impressed the second time around and while I don't retract my thoughts on the classic, Intelligentsia deserves credit for making me as satisfied as possible. Achieving that level of customer service that many companies strive for. My hat is off to them on this one.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Their Analog is my favorite of their offerings. And if you think it's good now, just wait until a few more days have passed and it starts hitting its stride. If you are pulling it before day 5, you are early.
Merle

cmin

#3: Post by cmin »

Analog is the best of their stuff imo, way better than Black Cat which I still find off putting to this day.