My favorite roasters so far - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
borisblank

#21: Post by borisblank »

2nd Klatch, Bodka, Paradise, and Stumptown.

Thom MacMillan

#22: Post by Thom MacMillan »

Glad to see my local favorite Temple coffee getting some love here. I'm from Sacramento. Our local roasters are great - Temple, Old Soul, and Chocolate Fish.

Klatch in So Cal is also great.

mgthompson

#23: Post by mgthompson »

Ruby, heart, and a tie between intelly and counterculture for me. There are several other roasters that I would probably like better than intelligentsia and counterculture; such as klatch and water avenue, I just haven't ordered from them enough.

Tomtg (original poster)

#24: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

espressoonmymind wrote:I've got a 5lb of the Crema Dolce, will get a bag of Vesuvius next... good pricing, good non-acidic cup.

Dragonfly is great! Just got my first two coffees from them.

12 oz of Crema Dolce and an 8 oz bag of their Yemen coffee!

This is my first Yemeni coffee so I don't have any comparisons but it IS great! If it is at all indicative of Yemeni coffees count me a fan of Yemeni coffee!

Another big plus for Dragonfly is that I have generally been underwhelmed by blends. I seem to prefer S.O even for my Moka Pot. But the Crema Dolce blend was ROCKING in the Moka Pot!

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Rulebreaker

#25: Post by Rulebreaker »

Tomtg wrote:Dragonfly is great! Just got my first two coffees from them.

12 oz of Crema Dolce and an 8 oz bag of their Yemen coffee!

This is my first Yemeni coffee so I don't have any comparisons but it IS great! If it is at all indicative of Yemeni coffees count me a fan of Yemeni coffee!

Another big plus for Dragonfly is that I have generally been underwhelmed by blends. I seem to prefer S.O even for my Moka Pot. But the Crema Dolce blend was ROCKING in the Moka Pot!

Thanks again for the recommendation.
Have you tried any of these in your Kalita? Curious about the dosing/results.
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

Tomtg (original poster)

#26: Post by Tomtg (original poster) replying to Rulebreaker »

I have indeed tried the Yemen in the kalita.

My dosing is pretty consistent. 22.2 grams of coffee for 340 grams of water. Every once in awhile I will take it down to 21 grams of coffee but that is pretty rare.

I will move the grind setting on the Hario mini-mill a bit.

I tried the Yemen at setting 8 today (which is my default start for the kalita) and it was great. Will give a go at 9 tomorrow.

Rulebreaker

#27: Post by Rulebreaker »

I definitely want to try some of the African SO's now that I have the Kalita. Drinking the BODKA Main Squeeze right now out of the Kalita. Results are quite nice. I would rank BODKA as a favorite roaster if this is any indication. Definitely fresh roasted as the bloom was offgassing CO2.
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

grog

#28: Post by grog »

Locally, I like Victrola, Kuma, and Elm Street. Outside of the Seattle area, I love George Howell's stuff, also a big fan of Bodka, Olympia Roasters, Supersonic, and 49th Parallel.
LMWDP #514

Carl S

#29: Post by Carl S »

Excellent! I've picked up several new roasters to try - some with very reasonable prices.

Like someone else mentioned, I've had a couple of bad roasts from Red Bird lately. Small bags and wasn't a big enough deal to phone the company but a comment on the next order form got absolutely no feedback. I still enjoy their coffee but it's time to branch out and these recommendations are appreciated.

brianl

#30: Post by brianl »

My Favorites: Compelling and Rich, Ruby Coffee Roasters, and Mtn Air Roasters.

I have a subscription for Ruby already and it looks like compelling and rich wants to capitalize on the ruby subscribers by having a similar subscription but on the 14th of the month (ruby is the 1st).

Buy anyways, these are the roasters that roast light and have fully developed coffees.