Metropolis Redline Espresso - recommended rest time, freezing?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rockethead26

#1: Post by rockethead26 »

I'm liking the Redline and just ordered my fourth batch, but having difficulty with consistency of my pulls. I've read a lot here on HB about that issue with Redline, and this last batch has given me fits. My first three batches would give me a good thick, heavy crema that the milk would stay under and I was even playing with a little latte art. With this last batch, however, I just can't get a good lasting crema. As soon as I start to add milk, it mostly dissipates.

I get three or four pounds at a time and freeze all but the first bag. It didn't seem to matter whether the beans were frozen or not; first three batches = good pulls and crema, last batch = difficult pulls and bad crema. It took me a whole bag of beans this time around to figure out the dose and grind so the pour at least looked right.

I'm using a Rancilio Rocky grinder and an Expobar Office Pulser machine. I know I could use a better grinder, but that's not in the cards right now. We have had a lot of rain the last three weeks here in Indiana, so maybe the humidity is wreaking havoc on my grinds, and maybe it's not the blend at all.

So, here's my questions:

1) Since Redline ships on the same day it's roasted and I receive it the next day, how long should I let the beans age before grinding them? Is there a consensus on this for Redline?

2) I do need to freeze the beans, because otherwise the coffee would be too expensive one bag at a time with shipping. I buy 4 bags so I get free shipping. Should the beans be frozen on arrival, or after they age for whatever period suggested by answers to my first question? If frozen immediately, should they be allowed to age after pulling them from the freezer?

Thanks for the help.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Jim,

I generally buy three bags at a time and move them into canning jars on the day they arrive. I store them in the freezer and pull them out as needed.

Redline seems to need more rest to really hit its peak versus nearly every other coffee I use. Days 9-10 are superb. While they are good as soon as day 4, they really need more rest to bring out more body. Also, the crema is better and longer standing with more rest.

Are you freezing them in the bag or something more robust?

The problem shouldn't be your grinder if it worked fine for three of the four batches. What you describe hints towards stale beans.
Merle

rockethead26 (original poster)

#3: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

Hi Merle. Thanks for the reply.

I haven't allowed my beans to rest at all and now I will. I always tend to buy my beans just before I need them and never have time to let them rest. I need to start doing that and I'm sure the overall experience will be even better.

As far as freezing, I put tape over the vent on each bag, then put each bag in a freezer zip lock and push all the air out. I may try the Ball Jar thing if it works better.

My feeling was that the beans weren't right, so stale beans may be the cause. Is this something I should let Metropolis know, or is it just part of the deal, to get a bad batch once in a while? I can't imagine that Metropolis would let something like that slip by, but then maybe they don't know unless someone complains.

If my new batch goes back to normal, it will help answer the question.

Thanks again,
Jim

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

Jim,

I think the problem is with your storage method. Also, while I'm thinking about it, did you let the beans come up to room temperature before opening the bag? One of my friends use to store the same way you do with his Intelligentsia Black Cat and on occassion had the same results as you.

I get their beans no later than 4 days post roast. I transfer them to Ball jars and then move them into the freezer. 3 days before they are needed I'll take the jar out and place it in the cupboard to thaw out for a day. The following day I open the jar to a "whoosh" and move them to a separate container I have next to my machine where I pull them for single dosing as needed. When I had my hoppered grinders I'd just dump them in the hopper.

I hope this helps.
Merle

dkny3939

#5: Post by dkny3939 »

I put beans in wine bottle and vacuum out any air with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Concerto ... B00005U2FA

and then I drop the bottles in a chest deep freezer.

I should perhaps do a test comparing:

(1) vacuumed but not frozen
(2) frozen but not in a vacuumed contained (ie, mason jar)
(2) vacuumed + frozen

coffeesnob1

#6: Post by coffeesnob1 »

Mario was right on the money - let them rest for a minimum of 6 days and see if that makes a difference. I have been a very loyal Redline fan over the years but lately it seems to be hit or miss. When I spoke to Sean, he told me that they were having some consistancy issues with one of the components so they've altered the blend somewhat lately. The fruit of the Ethiopian is gone now. Personally I am not impressed at all with the latest rendition. I don't know if it will continue to change or if they are going to leave it alone for a while, but I think ill go with Counter Culture for my next mail order.

MetropolisComm

#7: Post by MetropolisComm »

Hi Jim!

Thanks for your questions:

As far as resting the espresso, we find it tends to taste the best in the 7-10 day range.

Our roasters do not recommend storing coffee in the freezer, but we understand your concern/reason for doing so. Our best recommendation on this point would be to store only sealed bags in the freezer. Do not re-freeze after the bag has been opened. You shouldn't have to let the espresso rest for additional time after it has been removed from the freezer.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Matt: Regarding what you said: Sorry that you have not enjoyed the Redline as much lately. The blend has been the same since February 2011, of course based on season availability. We DID change out the Ethiopia for some better quality Brazils because we were having consistency issues with the former.

Again, thank you for the feedback and we'd love to help out with any further questions or concerns.

#8: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

uscfroadie wrote:Jim,

I think the problem is with your storage method. Also, while I'm thinking about it, did you let the beans come up to room temperature before opening the bag? One of my friends use to store the same way you do with his Intelligentsia Black Cat and on occassion had the same results as you.

I get their beans no later than 4 days post roast. I transfer them to Ball jars and then move them into the freezer. 3 days before they are needed I'll take the jar out and place it in the cupboard to thaw out for a day. The following day I open the jar to a "whoosh" and move them to a separate container I have next to my machine where I pull them for single dosing as needed. When I had my hoppered grinders I'd just dump them in the hopper.

I hope this helps.
Hi Merle,

I do allow them to reach room temp for about 6-12 hours. I will definitely give the jar method a try.

Thanks again,

Jim

#9: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

dkny3939 wrote:I put beans in wine bottle and vacuum out any air with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Concerto ... B00005U2FA

and then I drop the bottles in a chest deep freezer.

I should perhaps do a test comparing:

(1) vacuumed but not frozen
(2) frozen but not in a vacuumed contained (ie, mason jar)
(2) vacuumed + frozen
dkny,

That's an idea! I already have one of the wine vacuums as we do like wine. I'm not sure if the vacuuming is a good idea or a bad one, though I can't imagine it would hurt. I would look forward to the results of your experiments if you decide to perform them.

Jim

#10: Post by rockethead26 (original poster) »

coffeesnob1 wrote:Mario was right on the money - let them rest for a minimum of 6 days and see if that makes a difference. I have been a very loyal Redline fan over the years but lately it seems to be hit or miss. When I spoke to Christian, he told me that they were having some consistancy issues with one of the components so they've altered the blend somewhat lately. The fruit of the Ethiopian is gone now. Personally I am not impressed at all with the latest rendition. I don't know if it will continue to change or if they are going to leave it alone for a while, but I think ill go with Counter Culture for my next mail order.
Coffeesnob,

Thanks for your input. If my next batch is just as bad, I'll be looking for something else, too.

Jim