Loving Espresso Vivace's Blends

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ungabunga1989

#1: Post by ungabunga1989 »

Okay, so I know that Vivace may not be as in-fashion as the latest SO, "medium" roasted coffees that are now considered in the vanguard, but I have been getting some simply stunning drinks from Espresso Vivace Dolce (straight espresso) and Espresso Vivace Vita (milk drinks) recently. Even the Decaf is an extremely enjoyable drink. I have also gotten exceptionally consistent results from day-to-day and shot-to-shot. I have been using...

19g in a VST 20g basket
202.6 Brew temp (203.5 at sea level adjusted for the 500' altitude where I live)
31g weighed shots in 26-28 seconds

Yes, the resulting shots are rich, creamy and fairly low in acidity, but they are very well-balanced, complex and lovely examples of the more "comfort-food" end of the espresso spectrum while never going near tasting over-roasted or monolithic. Joy in a cup!

grog

#2: Post by grog »

Although I've lived in Seattle for six years, I just now got around to trying Vivace's coffee this week. Agree that the Dolce is amazing and a perfect representation of the style. I've been pulling this as straight shots on both spring and direct levers and it's delicious on everything I pull it on.

I've always looked to Victrola's Streamline as my reference espresso blend but the Vivace Dolce is giving it a serious run the money!
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
rockethead26

#3: Post by rockethead26 »

I lived on Vita for several years until I decided to try other roasters and really enjoyed it. Now that I have my Pro 700 and a better grinder, I may have to give them a shot again, although I'm getting the same favor profile with Blue Star Espresso now.

RyanP

#4: Post by RyanP »

It took me around 4 years living in Seattle before I found myself in front of Vivace's sidewalk bar in Cap Hill. I don't love the uber concentrated ristretto style shot that is so popular there, but I was impressed with the flavor profile and brought home some of their Dolce blend. I was using a Cremina at the time and found that it was easy to get an even and consistent shot. I pulled it closer to a 50% ratio and absolutely loved what was, to me, still an intensely chocolate forward comfort shot. Nothing groundbreaking, just very good and very satiating. It's been a little while now since I've had some Vivace beans in hand and I think I'd like to pick some more up sooner than later.