La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Bedford Blend Espresso / Toby's Estate

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

Toby's is next!

Can't wait to get it. I'm kind of stuck between beans at the moment, going to run out unless the next installment gets here very soon. Hate to buy a fresh bag for only a few days worth.

nuketopia (original poster)

#2: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Just got the email it is on the way!

Can't wait to give it a try.

#3: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Beans came in last night! They smell great, but I will have to wait till I'm home on next week to try them!! Arggh.

Oh well, roast date of the 8th, which probably needs a few days of rest anyway.

#4: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Hmm. Anyone else?

Pulled on the sour side first couple of tries. Need to dial it in better, but it got better with a fine grind and a slow pull. Probably needs a higher water temperature.

BikerDave

#5: Post by BikerDave »

i got the same, bit sour. Need to dial in a better as well, i am very close. I kept at 200* as they suggested on the card.

#6: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

No temperature recommendation on the paper card I got - just like the card with the last batch. But I see the card now online in the blog section on the La Marzocco home site.

I'm really surprised how sour this is pulling. Maybe it needs more rest time? I'm sitting at 8 days post roasting.

The Ritual Sweet Tooth Esperanca Brasil I've been pulling the last week is super sweet by comparison, like it way better.

Fausto

#7: Post by Fausto »

Pulled my first shot this morning. On a lever so temp is not as easy, but I hit the parameters otherwise on the first try....and it was sour. Almost really good, but a little too sour. I'm going to up the ratio and pull out closer to 40g tomorrow morning, go slightly coarser too.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Moxiechef »

I've gotten some tasty shots with about 25 sec @ 3 bars and then another 25 @ 9 bars for 18g in - 32g out at 202F. The super fine grind help tone down the acid nicely.

JB

#9: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

I pulled at 202f and 18g-in/32g-out in 37 seconds. Better, but still a strong sour note, some sweetness is emerging, but there's a note of bitterness which is telling me that higher temperatures are not likely to improve it.

So far, not that impressed.

Perhaps more rest time? I do see a lot of crema.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Moxiechef replying to nuketopia »

I pulled a couple at 204F and that was not a good idea. Got ashy/smoky.