Italian Espresso Blends for Beginners - What/Where to Buy?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I just finished reading through the 2 archived threads on Italian Espresso Blends dominico provided over in the LaVazza Gold thread. Having only ever used Counter Culture beans, I would like to give these Italian blends a try but I don't know exactly where to start. Also some of the specific links in the archived threads are now broken so I thought I'd make a newer more relevant post in case anyone else is curious.

Can someone list a handful of quality brands of Italian Espresso Blends with direct links to order them in the US?
dominico wrote:Here are a few articles on the subject that are worth reading:

Thoughts on an Italian Espresso Blend

2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused!

SonVolt (original poster)

#2: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Thanks Dan for updating the broken links.

So I thought I'd start with Essse Miscela Masini but I'm having a frustrating time trying to find an online vendor that includes roast dates. Is that par for the course with ordering Italian blends in the US? Can anyone recommend an online vendor?

I found 1st-Line but they're currently out of stock. I just gave them a call and they said they're lucky if they get roast dates less than a year :!:

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Essse- ... ag-p79.htm

Advertisement
nuketopia

#3: Post by nuketopia »

You can pick up Illy whole bean in the can at many better grocers. Look at the date code on the can and understand that Illy claims 18-24 month of shelf life in their nitrogen pressure cans.

I like the medium roast Illy whole bean. (red can). If you can find a fairly fresh can (at least a year from its expiration), it is pretty good and pulls a good shot with no fuss using standard preparation techniques. It's a good example of that particular style of Italian coffee.

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

SonVolt wrote:Thanks Dan for updating the broken links.

So I thought I'd start with Essse Miscela Masini but I'm having a frustrating time trying to find an online vendor that includes roast dates. Is that par for the course with ordering Italian blends in the US? Can anyone recommend an online vendor?

I found 1st-Line but they're currently out of stock. I just gave them a call and they said they're lucky if they get roast dates less than a year :!:

I think the point of that first link you posted (from another_jim) was that they purposefully blend their beans to be workable for several months (or more!) after the roast date. Basically just throw out what you think you know about roast dates when dealing with imported Italian espresso.

A fellow HBer dropped off a bag from Rome after a recent trip and there is no roast date that I can tell. I've been pulling it on/off for more than a month now with no discernible difference in the taste during that time.

PS Check out Cerini in NYC
https://www.cerinicoffee.com/espresso-beans-29/
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

caldwa

#5: Post by caldwa »

Out of curiosity, are you specifically interested in coffees from Italian roasters or coffees roasted in the Italian style? If it's the latter, it might be easier (and more fruitful) to check out roasters like Mr. Espresso and Linea Caffe, two California roasters that do the style well - and you'd be able to get it freshly roasted.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Espresso Zone sells a lot of Italian coffee. Not sure on the product turnover.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico replying to yakster »

Turnover at espressozone is dependent on the popularity of the blend. I've been going through the Kimbo Bar Blend versions and the bag of Kimbo Superior had been roasted less than 2 months ago while Kimbo Top Flavor was roasted 10 months ago. I actually found Top Flavor to be a bit more to my taste even though the beans looked way oilier than I would normally go for, but then again I admit to a nostalgic bias when dealing with Italian blends.

While they are drinkable for months after their roast date I will say that
these blends do start staling after you open the package, I find I get the best flavor out of them by distributing them into sealed mason jars each holding about a week's worth of beans and putting them in the chest freezer, going through a jar at a time - especially because you normally have to buy a kilo at a time. When I have about a day left of beans I pull the next jar out of the freezer and let it thaw to room temperature overnight still sealed.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
SonVolt (original poster)

#8: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Just ordered a bag of Kimbo Extra Crema from Espresso Zone. They've got a shipment arriving from Italy today :D

teamacacia

#9: Post by teamacacia »

John,
I know it isn't imported from Italy, but muddydog coffee (North Carolina?) has a nice Italian blend espresso that really took me back to my trips to Italy. I believe the price was $16/16oz bag and cheaper if you bought bigger bags. I emailed them recently and was told free shipping on orders over $75. I'm planning on ordering 5 1# bags and keeping the extras in the freezer.

I've given the local roasters a try and, while good, I have yet to find a blend that really transports me back to the cafes in Italy.
-Doc Todd

Lacoffee

#10: Post by Lacoffee »

SonVolt wrote:Thanks Dan for updating the broken links.

https://www.amazon.com/Masini-Essse-Caf ... ords=essse

Current roast date 11/10/15.
I have ordered this and found that the beans are great if you crack the bag and then freeze in mason jars only what you can consume in a few days. I always keep some in the freezer for guests that enjoy that type of thing. And for me, it's a smattering of my weekly intake.

All these Italian beans seem to be 6 months out or more. But i have not had a problem getting the "Italian Profile" from them even at a year plus out.
Andrew