Intelligentsia Black Cat

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sprin001

#1: Post by sprin001 »

I've read the searchable black cat tips and past advice. It seems BC has changed composition over the years. Curious if anyone has seen any recommendations for the current blend. I'very got 5 lbs so it'll be around for a while. Pulling on rocket r58, ceado e5 grinder. I pulled first shot at 197 Fahrenheit, 20.5g in, 23 gram out, 33 sec. I know it seems really slow, I'll coarsen it up but wanted to see what help was out there.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

What does intelly show on their site? They usually post that info...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Advertisement
Espresso in SB

#3: Post by Espresso in SB »

Intelly shows 200f at 1/2 standard ratio, various dose depending on which black cat (17-18.5g I think). I liked it better as a ristretto around 14g in / 20g out at 202f.

sprin001 (original poster)

#4: Post by sprin001 (original poster) replying to Espresso in SB »

Thanks for the suggestions! I saw the site but I know many people here like to tinker with things and I am really enjoying this blend.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl replying to sprin001 »

I use the suggested parameters on their site and its good. do you have classic or analog?

sprin001 (original poster)

#6: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

classic

kupe

#7: Post by kupe »

I'm almost through a bag of Analog roasted 12/29. With the recommended parameters I can get a base for a pretty nice aromatic floral cappuccino. Any chocolate that might be present is very hard for me to detect, despite what the tasting notes say. All my pulls were too bright to enjoy straight except a couple made with my stock single basket and 8g in/16g out 10 days after roast. One of those was pretty nice and balanced. Anything done with my 15/18g VST baskets at higher doses was too overwhelmingly bright, regardless of yields ranging from 1:1 - 1:3 and regardless of my changes to HX flush technique to pull at higher or lower temps. I think this one's just too challenging for my equipment and palate. I remember Black Cat being revelatory when I first got into espresso in 2007. It was super chocolaty on a cheap Breville Ikon back then. I miss that Black Cat.

Advertisement
michael

#8: Post by michael »

Have tried 2 bags of organic black cat this winter; used the recommendations from the site and had some pretty good coffees 8)

Jared

#9: Post by Jared replying to michael »

I have a bag of Black Cat Organic and have had zero luck with it. It has probably been the worst coffee I've ever had. I've tried a ton of different parameters with no luck. I still have some in the freezer that I can try again, but if you used the recommended parameters I don't know what else to try. The Analog has been my favorite, but overall I wasn't too impressed with their line.

michael

#10: Post by michael »

I picked up my bags on 2 different occasions from the local Whole Foods; fresh (lots of stuff there is way past the roast date) both times and made some reasonably good coffee; used the dosing, time and output from the website;
what temperature did you try, I used 94 C 8)