Imported Italian Espresso? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
zin1953

#11: Post by zin1953 »

duke-one wrote:To those of you who switch back and forth between favorites how do you keep up with shot weights/grinds/packing? Do you compleatly clean out the grinder between them?
Last question, first: yes.

I can only speak for myself, so . . .

In terms of "keeping up" with shot weights, it's not that big of a deal -- perhaps because I have an Elektra T1 and they are very sensitive to "updosing." Thus, my shot weight is always 14.5-15.0 grams.

In terms of grinds, the grind needs to be adjusted regularly anyway, given a bean's age (post-roast), the ambient humidity/weather conditions, and so on. New beans -- even the same blend, from the same roaster -- still need to be "dialed in," even though it may be simpler to do so with the same blend compared to a significantly different one.

In terms of packing . . . what do you mean, how hard you tamp? Image Tamping is the least important part of the whole process. I just tamp.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

timo888

#12: Post by timo888 »

michaelbenis wrote:Are there no Italian family roasters in the US roasting fresh Italian-style blends that have been refined over the generations? Surely, if you can get cannoli Siciliani in NYC..... :D
Caffe D'Arte in Seattle fits your description. They offer a full array of regional-style blends.

Advertisement
jc69

#13: Post by jc69 »

Hi folks,
actually, this is my first post to this forum, but I really felt the need to post a reply here.
I guess the real problem is how to find some shop importing more than the usual big selling roasts to the US. If someone knows one, why not post it here?
There are hundreds of espressos being roasted in Italy. I checked the quoted articles comparing US to Italy - they were comparing high quality to not-so-high quality (maybe except for the Illy on a bad day),
Unfortunately, I am not experienced with fresh roasts from the US, but based on my experience with fresh roasts from small roasters here in Germany, there surely are fantastic espressos from Italy worth trying.
Regards, Jan

duke-one (original poster)

#14: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Update: I ordered a couple of different blends from Ecco; Brazil Fazenda Sertãozinho & Organic Brazil Serra do Boné Reserve. Looking forward to trying these and noting the individual details of taste. If I come up with anything worth commenting on I'll post it.
Duke Masters

zin1953

#15: Post by zin1953 »

jc69 wrote: . . . based on my experience with fresh roasts from small roasters here in Germany, there surely are fantastic espressos from Italy worth trying.
Jan, welcome to Home-Barista.

I need to be clear here about something, and since your English is better than my German . . . let's try this in English.

I have no doubt that there are a number of outstanding roasters in Germany, and in Italy, and in Switzerland for that matter. The problem is not the quality of European roasters, Jan. The problem is that -- by the time the coffee is shipped Europe to North America, stocked in a New York warehouse, shipped to the California distributor, then delivered to the local market, and finally purchased by the consumer -- the coffee is incredibly stale, old, and tired.

And that is a difficult problem to overcome.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

jc69

#16: Post by jc69 »

zin1953 wrote:...The problem is not the quality of European roasters, Jan. The problem is that -- by the time the coffee is shipped Europe to North America, stocked in a New York warehouse, shipped to the California distributor, then delivered to the local market, and finally purchased by the consumer -- the coffee is incredibly stale, old, and tired.
Jason,

I see that point, surely for fresh roasts. But even the better Italian roasts come in industrial bags or cans and you can almost be sure that they are a few weeks - if not month - old when buying them anywhere.

However, there are so many people with a deep link to Italy in the US and I really can't believe that nobody is importing smaller (but large enough for a sale) quantities on a direct way. And I am sure that most roasts from Italian roasters will stand a few month waiting to be opened.

Anyway, I have some friends near Detroit, maybe they can bring me some of the roasts you mentioned.

Regards, Jan

PS.: Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be with you. You can be sure that there's no such site as this one over here...

Whale

#17: Post by Whale »

Welcome Jan.

I probably am (one of) the oddball in this forum because I have admitted and even proclaimed my love for a particular brand of Nitrogen Vacuum pack Italian espresso blend. It is the Miscela Doro Argento (very sweet and chocolaty with a light smell and taste of candy). It is the only imported coffee that I buy and I love it.

Quoting Ken Fox (somewhat out of context) that summarised it much better than I could: The Italian blend are less... "intense and "in your face" (than) N. American type blends." Ken, please correct me if I misunderstood your statement.

I like tasty sweet but more subdued espresso that is elegant and delicate but not any less complex and this is why I like my Argento imported Italian espresso blend.

I also like a bold, fruity, floral, intense and fragrant espresso and this is why I like one of the fresh roasted North American style espresso blends (Epic, from 49th parallel). There are many others...

I am also adventurous and like to expend the limits of my taste buds experience and try every so often a single origin bean. This is a hit-and-miss endeavour, where I have been left with 450g (out of 500) of coffee beans that I really do not like and sometime I love it so much that I am sadden because I cannot find more of that coffee anymore.

I pitch in my two Canadian cents worth to ensure that some, if not everyone else, keep in mind that it is possible to actually really like the taste of a vacuum pack imported Italian blend for what they are and for what they are not. They all need to be prepared with a very different process but it is possible to make something wonderful with some of them.

Final disclaimer: I do not like any Lavazza or Illy beans. Or at the very least I have never tried any of Lavazza or Illy blends that I liked. I am mentioning these two because they are the one being mentioned most of the time, but have tried many others that I did not like.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

Advertisement
malachi

#18: Post by malachi »

jc69 wrote:And I am sure that most roasts from Italian roasters will stand a few month waiting to be opened.
There are few (if any) coffees that are optimal after more than 10 days post roast.
The majority are optimal between 3 and 6 days post roast.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Phaelon56

#19: Post by Phaelon56 »

Nitrogen flushing and vacuum packing may halt the staling process to a reasonable degree but only until the sealed container is opened. At that point the staling process occurs extremely rapidly. Alas... I think it's unrealistic to expect that a large bag or can of coffee roasted and sealed in Italy would actually be on the shelf for retail sale here in the US in as little as a month. I think two months would be the minimum due to containerized shipping, distribution chain etc. but my guess is that it would actually be far longer than that.

Some years back - when my tastes were less developed - my GF brought back from Italy a kilo of some Lavazza in a black bag with gold lettering. It's one I had not seen here and I'll guess that it no more than a few weeks past roast date when the bag was opened. Although my tasting experiences were limited at the time and this was easily 7 years ago or more I recall it as being rather good and it totally blew away any Illy I ever tried before or since (including Illy that I tried in Italy).

That said... although I now do my own roasting... when i do buy beans it is only from sources that ship promptly after roasting and can get it to me within four days of roast date. If I moved to Italy I'd buy from roaster there but not until then.

another_jim
Team HB

#20: Post by another_jim »

The reason why many people get better shots from Italian imports is actually kind of obvious in hindsight

Seems that on an espresso machine, well ground coffee that's completely stale still beats fresh poorly ground coffee.
Jim Schulman