I'm done buying 12 oz. bags of coffee - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BTD1986

#51: Post by BTD1986 »

Agree. I keep a spreadsheet with total price per ounce; it helps. After Redbird, the least expensive beans are local--no surprise. That Black Cat must be some fine coffee.......
Paradise has coffee much cheaper than redbird, you can get a 5 lb bag delivered to your door for $10/lb.

cmin

#52: Post by cmin replying to BTD1986 »

I've used both, Redbird is like $52 shipped to your house for 5lbs. Paradise 5lb bag is like $51..... $1 is "much cheaper" ?!?! ;) lol

Arctic Mama

#53: Post by Arctic Mama »

See I was scared off freezing beans on these forums ages ago sad thought the wisdom still held that it lowered the quality of the coffee, so I purposely but only in quantities I can consume in a week or two, which is about 12 oz. I don't mind smaller sizes and don't even mind a markup - packaging costs and all that. But I always get annoyed when I HAVE to buy a larger size or bust and then it goes stale.

Maybe I just need to find a way to freeze it that doesn't negatively impact the quality?

I just got my Tonx beans for this cycle and I'm in heaven, though. SO stinking good.

danetrainer

#54: Post by danetrainer »

Maybe I just need to find a way to freeze it that doesn't negatively impact the quality?
Just use the search feature...it does not negatively affect quality and most on the forum utilize freezing.
I allow the beans to degas then they are vacuum sealed in mason jars.

werbin

#55: Post by werbin »

The key to freezing beans is to put them in glass canning jars.
When you take them out of the freezer, let them come to room temperature before opening the jars.

If you freeze them in bags, water condenses on the beans when you defrost them.

sweaner

#56: Post by sweaner replying to werbin »

Why would that happen? I usually put the bag in a vacuum bag, then freeze.
Scott
LMWDP #248

werbin

#57: Post by werbin »

A vacuum bag could work.
Just make sure you defrost to room temperature before opening the bag. Otherwise, moisture will condense on the beans and the beans will deteriorate over the next few days of usage.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#58: Post by JohnB. »

werbin wrote: If you freeze them in bags, water condenses on the beans when you defrost them.
Actually just the opposite is true. The vacuum bags come up to room temp much, much faster then the glass jars with metal lids. I've never seen a hint of moisture on the vacuum bags but the canning jars look like Frosty the Snow Man after a minute or so on the counter. Of course as long as the jar remains sealed until it comes up to room temp none of that moisture gets on the beans.

Personally I think the whole moisture on the beans thing is really overblown as an issue. Hell many of us are spraying the beans with water before grinding to reduce static. I've used beans right out of the freezer & never observed "wet beans" nor did I have any problems with them relating to grinding or taste.
LMWDP 267

entropyembrace

#59: Post by entropyembrace »

werbin wrote:A vacuum bag could work.
Just make sure you defrost to room temperature before opening the bag. Otherwise, moisture will condense on the beans and the beans will deteriorate over the next few days of usage.
I used to think this way, but I don't defrost anymore. I find what really works best is to freeze my coffee in glass canning jars and leave them in the freezer. Just take them out a minute to weigh out the coffee you're going to use immediately then the jar goes back into the freezer.

I could not detect any deterioration of the coffee by doing it this way after switching from the method you described. My coffee is actually better because now I can hold my coffee at the ideal level of freshness for an extended time, and always enjoy my coffee at its peak. :)

Abnuceals

#60: Post by Abnuceals »

I don't see how any kind of K-Cup could be fresher than a bag of coffee beans :roll:
LMWDP 389